Wind !

JakoMonster

Re: Wind !

Post by JakoMonster »

Went along the coast all the cordylines on the beach and on people properties are swaying back and fourth, and to think were only in september think how much windier it will be in october
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

What if we are getting it all at once though jacko, we may have a dry and calm october? It is so hard to tell aint it with our weather being so unpredictable. I heard a met reporter say today on a report that the weather now seems to have taken an autumn turn but i certainly WILL NOT rule out a return of the summer sun just yet! Well what does that say about the met :lol: even they can't tell what will be.
kata

Post by kata »

Winds gone now,

Pouring down....dark and dreary :( :(
Kiwirichard

Post by Kiwirichard »

jacko wrote:windy here too quite unnerving to see 25ft bamboo culms whipping about in the wind.
Its amazing just how much wind bamboo can take,we will get at least day each spring where the NW off the Alps can get up to 140km which doesn't seem to worry it to much,different when you see it flat on the ground with snow in yet it springs back up again when it melts.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

From what i have read bamboo's like the wind, so they should be ok. :)
billdango

Post by billdango »

I,m dreading the gales forcast for Southampton tomorrow,gusts up to 50 mph forcast with like today torrential rain.
Just to be shure i have tied up the new center leaves of the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in St Denys so as to keep them from breaking off.
As for the Basjoos they are so massive i can do nothing for them so lets hope they arn,t destroyed.
good luck everyone for tommorow?rgds billdango. :( :( :( :(
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

butter i was meant to put my nanas in the shed tonight and i forgot dam it! won't be able to see now either. I have 48mph forecast tomorrow bill, good luck to you too mate.
billdango

Post by billdango »

sanatic1234 wrote:butter i was meant to put my nanas in the shed tonight and i forgot dam it! won't be able to see now either. I have 48mph forecast tomorrow bill, good luck to you too mate.
I think the worst of the weather is forcast for the south coast and the channel islands so i don,t know what the rest of uk is going to get ,but it might be a good idea to get those delicate exotics under cover.
rgds billdango. :( :( :( :(
Las Palmas Norte

Post by Las Palmas Norte »

kata wrote:Got me asking how 'hardy, more than my -13'? I can't believe it, San, he said 35F. He is in San Diego... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
35°F is extremely rare in San Diego

"JANUARY IS USUALLY THE COLDEST MONTH OF THE YEAR IN SAN DIEGO AND THE ONLY MONTH WHEN TEMPERATURES BELOW THE FREEZING POINT WERE EXPERIENCED AT THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE.

ONLY ON 9 DAYS HAS A READING OF 32 DEGREES OR BELOW BEEN RECORDED SINCE RECORDS BEGAN IN 1872 WITH THE ABSOLUTE LOW OF 25 DEGREES ON JANUARY 7, 1913. THE AVERAGE MINIMUM TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH IS 49.7
DEGREES, THE AVERAGE MAXIMUM 65.8 DEGREES AND THE MEAN 57.8 DEGREES. DAYTIME READINGS OFTEN REACH 70 DEGREES AND OCCASIONALLY 80 DEGREES AND ON JANUARY 10 IN 1953 ROSE TO A HIGH OF 88 DEGREES."

Cheers, Barrie.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Barrie,

Thats very Interesting. I just happened to ask how cold because it was a larger than average banana 1(or looked it on the pic, which can be decieving dependant on the camera), 2 (he was telling it was ok in winter) I was amazed when he said 35F for winter. Only place I know thats that hot is Malaysia which is pretty static heat all year in the 29/30s.

Maybe he was giving one example, one winter.

icon_cheers icon_cheers

So Barrie, are you getting, or due these winds and rain we are experiencing? :(
jezza

Post by jezza »

So glad i put my nanas away, 40mph gusts here, my gazebo is trying to take off but i secured it down so it's not going anywhere. Forecast this wind for the next 5 days!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Just shows how little wind i get here. Not one banana torn all summer.

This morning they're all torn.

I hate wind. Glad its end of season and not mid summer this happened though!

In what way do bamboo like wind? I know my weak colms get snapped leaving the thicker stronger ones so its like natural selection lol
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cordyman wrote:Just shows how little wind i get here. Not one banana torn all summer.

This morning they're all torn.

I hate wind. Glad its end of season and not mid summer this happened though!

In what way do bamboo like wind? I know my weak colms get snapped leaving the thicker stronger ones so its like natural selection lol

No plants like strong winds although some can tolerate it more than others.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote: I was amazed when he said 35F for winter. Only place I know thats that hot is Malaysia which is pretty static heat all year in the 29/30s.

Maybe he was giving one example, one winter.

icon_cheers icon_cheers

So Barrie, are you getting, or due these winds and rain we are experiencing? :(
Kata, 35F is farenheight, or 3C.... Malaysia is 35C :wink: quite a lot of difference.

Barrie will be asleep now as he is 8 hours behind us, on the Pacific coast off Canada. We don't share the same weather, and most of the time he gets the opposite, when we are warm he is cold and visa versa. :wink:

Wind here is doing the usual.... wrecking everything. A new set of largest leaves on the Coli Mammoth unfurled at the weekend and ate now ripped to shreds. Bits of Musa basjoo all over the place. Ensete shredded, pots over :roll: :roll: :roll: The really annoying thing is it is too late for ant decent growth, so the plants will look a mess for the rest of the year :(
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Ian Cooke »

I hate the wind! Keeps blowing all my pots over. Even a potted Cyperus papyrus - you wouldn't think it had enough resistance to catch the wind! Given up and left them all on the floor for the moment! :(