Are you all still watering?

sanatic1234

Are you all still watering?

Post by sanatic1234 »

I have cut right back on my watering now, all because i think this will an advantage for drying soils ready for the winter BUT... with temps set to rise for the next few days i am wondering if i should start to water again? it may sound like a daft question but i don't want to water too much then end up having a harder job on my hands when it comes to drying the plants out.

I have been a bit caught out really as normally it would tend to just keep on cooling but with this mild spell its a bit confusing on whats to do for the best. What are all of you doing?
Nathan

Re: Are you all still watering?

Post by Nathan »

I am still watering & will carry on until it cools down...
jezza

Post by jezza »

The spinkler is on the front garden as i type this post. It dries out really quick and needs doing regulary until it's too cold. The back garden sits more in shade so doesn't need it at the moment.
kata

Post by kata »

We get a lot of rain here,

I also tend to forget watering my Fortunei, it seems to like life that way.

:lol: :lol:
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Yes, still watering, everything dry out here after a few days without rain.
Nick

Post by Nick »

yep still watering my bamboo's as little rain gets to the big pots that they are planted in, and anything else that looks like it needs a drink :lol: also spread a load of old well rotted horse poo, so rather than it drying out in hard lumps I have washed it in and broken it down so the rain will wash it in better :lol: :lol:

icon_sunny icon_sunny
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I know what you mean Sanatic. Depends what plants are grown in. Some of my plants in pots are in heavy soil that stay moists for days if not a week or two. Whereas my colocasia dry out quickly.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I water the odd pot but the ground here is really damp......
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

yeah, containers still dry out no matter how much it rains and
under the Trachycarpus and t.rex canopy gets quite dry.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Mr List wrote:yeah, containers still dry out no matter how much it rains and
under the Trachycarpus and t.rex canopy gets quite dry.
I had cut right back on watering, but will give the pots a wetting today & i'm also waiting for the temprature to rise a bit today as my bigger palms in the ground are due there fortnightly palmbooster. karl.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Temperature wise September is a summer month just slightly cooler than June, although the sun is much lower. If you withhold water in dry spells, which can happen here at any time of the growing season, growth halts :roll: I water until the ground does not need watering, which either as the temps are cool enough for no evaporation, and plants stop using it, and/or no wind to desicate. Plants tend to have a large leaf area at this time of year, and can suck the ground dry in just a couple of days even when cool, if windy.

Even my planted out Brugs wilted like crazy earlier in the week. The last thing I want is for them to abort all the flowers.

Brug beside the greenhouse, while twilight watering last night.
Attachments
2011-09-23 19-02-18 Brugmansia Charles Grimaldii in flower.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Stuff grows big on the Estaury Dave,

:lol: :lol:
Rabbie

Post by Rabbie »

No, its cold and wet here.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

ground doesn't need watering here- but still checking pots and watering when required.

I bought a moisture meter from wilkinsons for a bout 2 quid- really good for people like me who can't seem to judge it very well!
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dave Brown wrote:Temperature wise September is a summer month just slightly cooler than June, although the sun is much lower. If you withhold water in dry spells, which can happen here at any time of the growing season, growth halts :roll: I water until the ground does not need watering, which either as the temps are cool enough for no evaporation, and plants stop using it, and/or no wind to desicate. Plants tend to have a large leaf area at this time of year, and can suck the ground dry in just a couple of days even when cool, if windy.

Even my planted out Brugs wilted like crazy earlier in the week. The last thing I want is for them to abort all the flowers.

Brug beside the greenhouse, while twilight watering last night.
I have had potted Brugs stood in water this year Dave and they love it, it also lets you get away with a few days not getting the hose out.

Heres one this morning
Attachments
001 (Medium).JPG