Palm,cycad and Tree fern Grave Yard

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Palm,cycad and Tree fern Grave Yard

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Close to where my in-laws live is a small bungalow where an old lady used to live. Earlier this year a middle aged man moved in (possibly her son) and since then a lot of dead plants have been put in the front garden and down the side of the garage.

These are

several Dicksonia antarctica between 3 to 7 foot tall
cycads including a double header
Trachycarpus
washy
butias
CIPD
unknowns (but big)

All the above were BIG I mean proper specimen sized plants in huge pots with mature trunks. They are lined up in pots completely dead apart from one which has just recently pushed out a bit of green.

Question is was the old lady a closet exoticist or did the man bring the dead plants with him?

Either way we are looking at £1000s worth of dead plants.

I may try and take a photo one day.
Deedee

Re: Palm,cycad and Tree fern Grave Yard

Post by Deedee »

Oooh find out why, what and where Kris, im intrigued, Why and who let them die, who moved them, who paid for them, sorry, im just nosy :D
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Deedee wrote:Oooh find out why, what and where Kris, im intrigued, Why and who let them die, who moved them, who paid for them, sorry, im just nosy :D

So am I. But I would feel bad if I went up to him and said " Hi I'm Kris I love growing tropical plants, Whats happened to yours?"
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

pics need pics !!! :lol: :lol: icon_cheers

very intrigued, i'd knock on, make them an offer for the greenspear!
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

cordyman wrote:pics need pics !!! :lol: :lol: icon_cheers

Or the pots!
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

cordyman wrote:pics need pics !!! :lol: :lol: icon_cheers

I only walked past quickly and couldn't identify the palm that was alive, possibly a washy or a large L australis. Strange how this had survived but all others look dead
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

[quote=

Question is was the old lady a closet exoticist or did the man bring the dead plants with him?
.[/quote]

When I read this I thought at first glance it said she was an exorcist :shock: ,and perhaps she had used them in some bizarre flushing out demons sort of way :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

What a shame. I'd be having a cheeky knock as his door. Just say you collect exotic plants and wondered if he had any he was getting rid of. icon_thumright
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Tom2006 wrote:What a shame. I'd be having a cheeky knock as his door. Just say you collect exotic plants and wondered if he had any he was getting rid of. icon_thumright

I will have to ask him, I mean what sort of person spends £100s if not £1000s on plants and then lets them die?
grub

Post by grub »

Yorkshire Kris wrote: I mean what sort of person spends £100s if not £1000s on plants and then lets them die?
Us! That's the whole point :lol: , we don't let them die though; they just do it occasionally to p**s us off :evil:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

With my CSI hat on I'd imagine the old lady's husband was the exotic gardener but he died of hyperthermia in the winter of 2009 and so the plants followed suit the following year. The son has turned up to help clear out for the old lady as the dead plants are a constant reminder of how her husband cared for her as if she were a tender flower and now she is alone on the compost heap of grief.

Knocking on the door and asking will most likely finish her off, you'll be arrested for murder and Horatio Kane will throw your ass in jail, saying "From the greenhouse to the Big House, take him away" whilst adjusting his sunglasses.

:lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Goggle's on the fruit juice early :lol:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

GoggleboxUK wrote:With my CSI hat on I'd imagine the old lady's husband was the exotic gardener but he died of hyperthermia in the winter of 2009 and so the plants followed suit the following year. The son has turned up to help clear out for the old lady as the dead plants are a constant reminder of how her husband cared for her as if she were a tender flower and now she is alone on the compost heap of grief.

Knocking on the door and asking will most likely finish her off, you'll be arrested for murder and Horatio Kane will throw your ass in jail, saying "From the greenhouse to the Big House, take him away" whilst adjusting his sunglasses.

:lol:
:lol: Sadly the old lady has already died
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Problem solved then, old lady died and whilst the family argued over the estate they forgot to water the plants. I bet the relation who was left the plants was p--t off.
Cathy

Post by Cathy »

Kris,
Do you think the Palms could have been growing/dying in the back garden?
Maybe the son has potted them up ready to sell on ebay! He'll be saying they are tall and sturdy but not including any pictures. Buyer beware, as they say! :lol: