How hardy Abutilon Souvenir de bonn

derrick

How hardy Abutilon Souvenir de bonn

Post by derrick »

Dont no how hardy got two about 4 5 feet tall nice flowers on them?
Nigel Fear

Re: How hardy Abutilon Souvenir de bonn

Post by Nigel Fear »

Don.t know about that particular form, but I do have a few various Abutilons here myself, that have proven to be quite hardy to around -7 ish.
Obviously a sheltered position would be helpful though.
derrick

Post by derrick »

Nigel have to post some pictures like to see them ?
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

It's not a hardy cultivar and really needs a frost-free greenhouse overwinter. Although I have known 'Thompsonii' struggle through an average winter in a sheltered spot and that's also really a tender one too. I'd take cuttings and keep indoors but maybe risk the parent plant outdoors if no space under cover.
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I have a red Abutilon next to my front door which faces south growing on the wall and it has survived the last 9 winters here with no protection at all. I cut it back hard each spring( middle April) and it reshoots and flowers until first frosts, about middle of November. Lowest temp we had here was about -7c. Guess the wall and South facing aspect helps protect it. It is about 6 foot tall. Red flowers.

derrick

Post by derrick »

Thanks Ian i have 2 large plants so one will come inside Thats a nice red Abutilon you have Rachel do you no the name?
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

derrick wrote:Thanks Ian i have 2 large plants so one will come inside Thats a nice red Abutilon you have Rachel do you no the name?

Hello
sorry I do not know the name as it was already here when I bought my house. My mum told me what kind of plant it was, but do not know the sub name,

Cheers
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Looks a bit like my ''Ashford red'', only nicer Rachel. :wink:
but there's so many of them I can't be certain.

You could also try Abutlon nabob, another red form, which I've found to be hardy enough here, [sorry no photo though Derrick]
Abutilon kentish belle. [pictured] has proven to be hardy over the last couple of winters.

Plus a similar one to Rachel,s but in pink, called patio pink
another on A.canary bird I'm trying, but don't know if it's hardy yet. along with A. carrington carol and A. megapotamicum which I'm told are hardy.
Attachments
149 (600 x 450).jpg