Musa pups ok for garage or too small

Sat

Musa pups ok for garage or too small

Post by Sat »

These are the musa pups from the summer, will them be ok in garage or are they too small and need to be indoors?

Should all the leaves be put down?
Attachments
SDC14376.JPG
SDC14376.JPG (59.23 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
musa_monkey

Re: Musa pups ok for garage or too small

Post by musa_monkey »

it really depends on the species, cold hardier varieties will survive fine in the garage at that size without heat as long as its frost free. I used to leave 2 to 3 leaves on mine (cut in half) but i have so many now i take most of the leaves off to allow air circulation. Whenever possible i leave the garage door open, again to allow air circulation, rot is the biggest problem in our damp environment, so much so that i am trying out a dehumidifier in the greenhouse this winter.

Here is how i store the small ones

and the big ones

Excuse the garage :? its a nightmare trying to find anything and thats after i got rid of a lot of stuff down the dump yesterday :lol:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I can always take 1 or 2 off your hands to make room :D
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Sat, they should be fine in the garage. I've overwintered much much smaller ones that that with no problems assuming that they are musa basjoo?
Sat

Post by Sat »

Thanks musa and kris.

I will cut the leaves in half as well. The garage does not suffer from humidity as its detached and has aps in garage door.

Some further questions

I also assume that once put in garage, leave them there and not take them out on milder days and back in when cold?

Also NO watering?, Should it just dry out?

Musa Monkey - like you plants. Do you keep all you musa in pots and not pot any out into the ground? Or do you lift out of the ground for overwintering?
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Sat wrote:Thanks musa and kris.

I will cut the leaves in half as well. The garage does not suffer from humidity as its detached and has aps in garage door.

Some further questions

I also assume that once put in garage, leave them there and not take them out on milder days and back in when cold?

Also NO watering?, Should it just dry out?

Musa Monkey - like you plants. Do you keep all you musa in pots and not pot any out into the ground? Or do you lift out of the ground for overwintering?
Sat, Aps in tha garage door ? I could be having a senior moment is that a vent icon_scratch

Once mine are in there they stay there until spring and basically i ignore them. No watering but as i mentioned i do try to ventilate it as much as possible.

Most of mine i keep in pots, i have a few in the ground and wrap for winter and hope for the best.
Sat

Post by Sat »

Sorry I should read " gap in garage door" so air come through? Is this a good thing or bad thing.

Ok - I will leave the pups till spring for potted musa and no water.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Sat wrote:Sorry I should read " gap in garage door" so air come through? Is this a good thing or bad thing.

Ok - I will leave the pups till spring for potted musa and no water.

:lol: :lol: Ok i see, thats a good thing, cross flow of ventilation like in a greenhouse is always good.
Sat

Post by Sat »

Musa annother quick questions , the musa in pots, come spring do you plant out the musa into the ground with the pot still inaround the garden, or just put the pot above the ground around the garden. ?
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Sat wrote:Musa annother quick questions , the musa in pots, come spring do you plant out the musa into the ground with the pot still inaround the garden, or just put the pot above the ground around the garden. ?
Some of the larger ones i may pot on but mostly I just put them back out around the garden as is. I have a few in the ground and they stay there over winter.

My garden is gravel covered and this year i had quite a few push roots out of the pot and into the gravel :shock: It was a good year for growing.
Sat

Post by Sat »

Musa,

When do you intend to take your musa outside?

How did they fare this winter.

My smaller one I did not want to take risk so brought inside into toilet and bathroom and they are ok slowly growing.

The larger one stay in garage, the tip of new leave died, but then last few weeks I noticed it growing , strange its nice green lower as it growing , with the tip darker looking dead.
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

Sat wrote:Musa,

When do you intend to take your musa outside?

How did they fare this winter.

My smaller one I did not want to take risk so brought inside into toilet and bathroom and they are ok slowly growing.

The larger one stay in garage, the tip of new leave died, but then last few weeks I noticed it growing , strange its nice green lower as it growing , with the tip darker looking dead.
I usually loose patience by the end of March an put them outside.
They look a bit worse for wear, brown leaves, some rot at the ends but i will just chop those bits back and they will be fine as usual.

The more delicate varieties seem to have survived ok in the greenhouse this year and i believe using a dehumidifier helped a lot.
Sat

Post by Sat »

musa_monkey wrote:it really depends on the species, cold hardier varieties will survive fine in the garage at that size without heat as long as its frost free. I used to leave 2 to 3 leaves on mine (cut in half) but i have so many now i take most of the leaves off to allow air circulation. Whenever possible i leave the garage door open, again to allow air circulation, rot is the biggest problem in our damp environment, so much so that i am trying out a dehumidifier in the greenhouse this winter.

Here is how i store the small ones

and the big ones

Excuse the garage :? its a nightmare trying to find anything and thats after i got rid of a lot of stuff down the dump yesterday :lol:

Just been looking at my old post and cannot remember if the musa bajoo in pots like this, need drying up before been taken into the garage?

Musa_monkey or others - Can anyone confirm?

Or is it just case of bringing IN and no further watering and remove the leaves!
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
yes do we dry the pots up before bringing into garage or simply bring in and do not water? Do they need dark or light as my garage has 2 windows that are covered but can be uncovered? Also when should they be bought indoors? Is now too early? What temp should it be at night , that makes it time to bring indoors into garage? Will pot feet stands help with air circulation? My garage is bone dry and does not suffer from dampness and is attached to my house. My nanas are also musa basjoo

Cheers
musa_monkey

Post by musa_monkey »

I never dry out basjoo. I simply take them into the garage and leave them to it. They dry out naturally and are not watered again until they come back out in spring.