Washingtonia robusta winter protection

Si

Re: Washingtonia robusta 2009/10 winter protection

Post by Si »

That's fantastic Dave, my leaves are toast, trunk and petioles are fine, but it looks rough as, wish I'd done the parasoll thing (frost protection AND ventilation) you should market that Dave...Can I but one :shock: :lol: I think the parasoll is DEFO the way forward, espesh if your in the worst winter for 30 years :shock: your leaves look miles better than last year and this years been FAR worse...onwards and upwards for your washy now mate.
eddie

Post by eddie »

One of my Washi's is already fighting back. It actually is unfolding it's spear already, the spear is around 4 inches wide now. Could be that it's dieing, but it looks green and healthy. I've protected the palm with a plastic shelter, with a few ventilating holes in the back and a light string wrapped around the core. The outer leaves are brown, the inner ones look still ok with a bit of damage to the upper leaf tips.
I already thought it was growing a bit because the upper leaf was touching the roof of the shelter and i am pretty sure i the shelter was higher then the plant when i build it back in december. Tmin in the garden where it is (at my girlfriends place) was -8.9C.
Keeping my fringers crossed 8)

Does your Washi show any signs of growth yet Dave?
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Not seen any signs Eddie, but is a bit difficult with the parasol up.

Looking at the weather it appears that the Madeira storm is heading up our way and is going to rip through Portugal and Spain before arriving here. As the weather looks milder over the next few days I have taken the parasol down. Don't want to risk losing it :wink:
20100224 Washie 01.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

should mine recover,im going to take a leaf out of this chapter next year icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
themes

Post by themes »

redsquirrel wrote:should mine recover,im going to take a leaf out of this chapter next year icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
nice use of gardening lexicon.
weve

Post by weve »

That's great Dave! congrats icon_thumleft . It was a really clever idea and it stood up to the elements too! (i must confess i had my doubts about that bit!)

I just plonked the garden table over my V. small one (trunk thickness -to use Nick's favourite unit of measurement, about the size of a good sausage roll :) ) with a fleece skirt draped round in the worst temps. I also surrounded the trunk with water filled milk containers (trying them everywhere this year!) and it seemed fine when i last looked a few days ago, with no frost damage at all (-5.5c lowest here!).

Will definitely try the parasol when mine's bigger! (if it makes it till then)
cheers
weve
Simba

Post by Simba »

Dave Brown wrote: Here is the palm on 21st Feb 2009 having suffered frost damage while not protected
210209 pics 019.jpg
Here 19th Feb 2010 with protection. Only lower leaves suffering frost damage
20100219 Washie 01.jpg
That trunk appears to have fattened up tremendously over the past 12 months....
icon_thumleft
sam140

Post by sam140 »

Dave what size robusta would you recommend as a minimum to survive the current winter. :?:

Regards
Sam
kata

Post by kata »

I looked at a similar thread yesterday on HT yesterday about umbrella cover,

I thought then what about the sides when someone else was going to or was/had used a brolly such as yours.
but the lower leaves are suffering some frost damage soi the frost has wafted under the canopy from the sides.

Did'nt you realise, or were you just hoping that the wind would'nt blow snow under the brolly like in a sandstorm?

Maybe the brolly overhead *was good*, but then support by adding a fleece bag and tied down with ground pegs.

:mrgreen:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:I looked at a similar thread yesterday on HT yesterday about umbrella cover,

I thought then what about the sides when someone else was going to or was/had used a brolly such as yours.
but the lower leaves are suffering some frost damage soi the frost has wafted under the canopy from the sides.

Did'nt you realise, or were you just hoping that the wind would'nt blow snow under the brolly like in a sandstorm?

Maybe the brolly overhead *was good*, but then support by adding a fleece bag and tied down with ground pegs.

:mrgreen:
Kata, the main thing with Washingtonia is keeping rain/snow out of the crown, and they intensely dislike high humidity and stagnent air. This leads to fungal attacks which can kill the palm. The parasol worked as planned, but I was not expecting the level of cold we had. :roll: Certainly not as early as 30th November

These are not really hardy here, and would certainly not survive the freeze I had without the protection given. The main thing is to try to stop the North to East winds which are very cold here in winter, but to leave it open to the breeze in other directions.

All in all it worked well, and I feel that any attempt to further enclose it would have resulted in fungal attack. Any damage in a wind free humid environment would have been subject to attack.

As it is it went on to make a full recovery, and as Washingtionia robusta does not need high temps to grow, it has had a full 6 month growing season so far, producing 17 new leaves. icon_thumright

Here in Mid September, but has opened to new fans since then :wink:
2011-09-16 17-25-18 Washingtonia robusta.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by kata »

Its looking good Dave,

It was something that crossed my mind the other day...its ok if its not good to fully cover...I listen.

I wanted to also mention a product from one of those mags in mags if you know what I mean :mrgreen: They had a frost free, mildew free car cover, will that be ok for palms?

Your palm is lovely, really it is Dave.
Thanks!
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Washingtonia robusta winter protection

Post by Dave Brown »

kata wrote:Its looking good Dave,

It was something that crossed my mind the other day...its ok if its not good to fully cover...I listen.

I wanted to also mention a product from one of those mags in mags if you know what I mean :mrgreen: They had a frost free, mildew free car cover, will that be ok for palms?

Your palm is lovely, really it is Dave.
Thanks!
Only taken 7 months to answer :lol:

If the fabric can breathe it should be ok, but not sure how well is insulates, as not designed to keep frost out.

Here is a pic of my Washingtonia over the last 4 springs.
- In Feb 2009 we had blizzards and temps of -5.1C and the palm was pretty damage.
- I protected over winter 2009/10 with the parasol and although still had temps down to -5.1C again, there was virtually no damage.
- December 2010 was a real killer with blizzards starting 30th Nov and periods of freezing weather for much of December. Lowest temp -9.8C, but on 6 days the temps failed to rise above freezing. Although the palm was protected in the same way as the previous year, it sustained much more damage, with no leaves left unscathed. Even with a exceptionally warm spring it had only just started to recover by May.
- Winter 2011/12 was on the whole a mild year, but we did have blizzards in Feb with temps down to -7.2C. The palm was protected better with the parasol and a skirt of double layer of fleece draped from it. This has allowed the palm to come through pretty well, which is just as well, as spring has been dismal to say the least. :roll:
2009 to 2012 Washingtonia growth.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by medjool »

Well done Dave totally inspired!!!!!
eddie

Post by eddie »

Very beautifull palm! Nice pictureset showing the growth!!! icon_thumleft !

Yours is really an inspiration for me, i'm hoping mine will look a tiny bit like yours someday

icon_sunny
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
dino

Post by dino »

2010-2012 looks really good growth. Well done Dave icon_thumleft