Winter Protection

Andrew Smith

Winter Protection

Post by Andrew Smith »

Just wondering if anybody has started thinking about winter protection yet.

I will need to start remaking my Rain/Snow Shelters for my Agaves and Aloes soon.

Dig up my Ensete Maurellei.

Build the straw "dome" over my Musa Sikkimensis Red Tiger and Musella Lasiocarpa, once the first frost comes.

Looking at the "predicted" overnight temps for the next 2 weeks they seem to average about 7C, the lowest being 5C overnight on Thursday 20 Oct.
palm lad

Re: Winter Protection

Post by palm lad »

i've already wrapped all mine up! just as well as we had frost this morning! :lol: put my two small potted purpurea cordylines into the greenhouse with some fleece tied around the pots for warmth same as last year. tied up my damaged 3ft Trachycarpus fortunei and put 4 bamboo canes around it and covered all way down with about 3 layers of fleece. my 3ft cordy australis ive tied up the leaves for now to keep moisture out of the crown but may wrap in a layer or so if bad weather hits again. my small yucca gloriosa will be left outside in its big tub all winter as it survived last without a mark. and my 2ft Phoenix canariensis_CIDP has been tied up but not so tight with EIGHT layers of fleece surrounding the trunk and top of growing point, 4 layers wrapped around the fronds up to the top and a layer of bubblewrap around the tips of the fronds with a clear carrier bag covering the top. icon_thumleft i just hope it survives! :?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've enjoyed buying lots of plants this year so have decided not to protect anything.

That way I can replace everything next year all over again.

I'm going to put all the seedlings in the fridge too.

:lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I've started too early! (Washy video should be ready tonight)
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

palm lad wrote:i've already wrapped all mine up! just as well as we had frost this morning! :lol: put my two small potted purpurea cordylines into the greenhouse with some fleece tied around the pots for warmth same as last year. tied up my damaged 3ft Trachycarpus fortunei and put 4 bamboo canes around it and covered all way down with about 3 layers of fleece. my 3ft cordy australis ive tied up the leaves for now to keep moisture out of the crown but may wrap in a layer or so if bad weather hits again. my small yucca gloriosa will be left outside in its big tub all winter as it survived last without a mark. and my 2ft Phoenix canariensis_CIDP has been tied up but not so tight with EIGHT layers of fleece surrounding the trunk and top of growing point, 4 layers wrapped around the fronds up to the top and a layer of bubblewrap around the tips of the fronds with a clear carrier bag covering the top. icon_thumleft i just hope it survives! :?
I think you are to early........and I would unwrap alot of stuff....the odd 1 off night frost (if you really had one) will not be a problem as the days time temps are still in middle double figures.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The Codfather wrote:
palm lad wrote:i've already wrapped all mine up! just as well as we had frost this morning! :lol: put my two small potted purpurea cordylines into the greenhouse with some fleece tied around the pots for warmth same as last year. tied up my damaged 3ft Trachycarpus fortunei and put 4 bamboo canes around it and covered all way down with about 3 layers of fleece. my 3ft cordy australis ive tied up the leaves for now to keep moisture out of the crown but may wrap in a layer or so if bad weather hits again. my small yucca gloriosa will be left outside in its big tub all winter as it survived last without a mark. and my 2ft Phoenix canariensis_CIDP has been tied up but not so tight with EIGHT layers of fleece surrounding the trunk and top of growing point, 4 layers wrapped around the fronds up to the top and a layer of bubblewrap around the tips of the fronds with a clear carrier bag covering the top. icon_thumleft i just hope it survives! :?
I think you are to early........and I would unwrap alot of stuff....the odd 1 off night frost (if you really had one) will not be a problem as the days time temps are still in middle double figures.

Agree with Coddy.
kracker

Post by kracker »

Winter 2010 i lost some nice multi stem cordys they did come back and guess what last year December it happened again they look like they could be cracking once established so this year i'm gonna tie up and wrap some fleece around a pot and cover at night i planted a young Trachycarpus last year that got nailed also it's come back with three stems I'm gonna make a cage and pop over the top lined with fleece and peg it down everything else is going in the garage with a daylight bulb my house faces south so can get cosy in there even on the coldest day i have warned the neighbours that i am not growing cannabis in the garage the would be illegal !
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

GoggleboxUK wrote:I've enjoyed buying lots of plants this year so have decided not to protect anything.

That way I can replace everything next year all over again.

I'm going to put all the seedlings in the fridge too.

:lol:
Luv it :lol: :lol: :lol:
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

All my plants are in pots. I can put the smaller ones in the garage, but in this house, the garage is a long way from the back garden, so for the large beasts I'm toying with the idea of buying this for the patio.

http://www.gardenfurniturecentre.co.uk/ ... nt_44.html

And then rope lights for heat.

Any comments?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

MikeC wrote:All my plants are in pots. I can put the smaller ones in the garage, but in this house, the garage is a long way from the back garden, so for the large beasts I'm toying with the idea of buying this for the patio.

Any comments?
Why not go for one of these instead Mike? Cheaper and better for light:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-2m-Polytu ... 4840b202ce
MikeC

Post by MikeC »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
MikeC wrote:All my plants are in pots. I can put the smaller ones in the garage, but in this house, the garage is a long way from the back garden, so for the large beasts I'm toying with the idea of buying this for the patio.

Any comments?
Why not go for one of these instead Mike? Cheaper and better for light:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-2m-Polytu ... 4840b202ce
Good shout, that's why I posted it here, I know someone would find something better suited.

icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i put a rain cover over a couple of echeveria and lewisia i have in some rocks since it wasnt hard to put there but not really trying to protect them.

think i have everything planned out in my head just waiting to spring into action.

not sure what to do if it is raining after the first frosts have hit icon_scratch
nanas and cannas don't want soggy straw all over them
musabasjoos

Post by musabasjoos »

Mr List wrote:i put a rain cover over a couple of echeveria
Ive potting mine up and brought them inside. Have you managed to bring any through the winter yet this way Ken?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

this is first year with them.
didnt know they weren't hardy.

thought i'd put the rain cover there if it works - good if not get something else next year.
kata

Post by kata »

Lewisias don't need protection ML

I have four and never covered them since I bought them five years ago.

icon_cheers