How to calculate monthly average temps?

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

How to calculate monthly average temps?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Ok we are nearly at the end of the month and for the first time I have actually recorded the Max and Min for each day.

To work out the average temp for the month do I add all the highest temps plus all the lowest temps and divide by 60?

Is this the way it is done?
Kristen

Re: How to calculate monthly average temps?

Post by Kristen »

I don't the normal or correct way, but I wonder about the "value" of an "average temperature for the month" ?

When I'm confronted by figures such as this I'm interested in the Quartiles, how many days were in each quartile, and perhaps the maximum number of consecutive days in the quartile.

If the bottom quartile is, say, -10 to -5 and the maximum consecutive days was, say, a week (and if there were lots more days within that quartile) then that would do-for lots of things. But maximum consecutive days of 1 and only 2 days in that quartile then probably plants going to be OK

But I'm only thinking out loud, no idea how this is normally done.

I would think for a true-average you'd need degrees-hours or somesuch, and then take an arithmetic average from them.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I work out my average high & average low temperatures separately, (then I sometimes work out the mean for the month), as the average max & average min for the month are more useful to me than the monthly mean...
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

You can get software programs that will do it for you though. :)
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

sanatic1234 wrote:You can get software programs that will do it for you though. :)
Only if you have a weather station with downloadable software, otherwise you would still have to manually input all the monthly data to work it out, so you may as well just use a calculator :wink:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

sanatic1234 wrote:You can get software programs that will do it for you though. :)
A calculator will also do this...
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yeah very true! all my point was, is the topic was saying which is the best way to do it, so i was just saying as you jot down your mins and highs of each day, the program will i suppose calculate it to what it actually is, so it would be right. would it not?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

All I want to know is when people and weathermen talk about average monthly temps they are talking about the same thing that I am calculating.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:All I want to know is when people and weathermen talk about average monthly temps they are talking about the same thing that I am calculating.
Yes.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Kris

Are you not using the spreadsheet, that does the averages automatically
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Kris

Are you not using the spreadsheet, that does the averages automatically

I've not being doing that no because it's easier to jot down temps on some paper by the side of the thermometer. The spread sheets you sent a great but seem to ask for more date than I have, wind direction etc.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Thats ok Kris, just use the temperature columns and ignore the rest. You can also adapt it by taking out any columns etc you don't want.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Arlon Tishmarsh wrote:Thats ok Kris, just use the temperature columns and ignore the rest. You can also adapt it by taking out any columns etc you don't want.
icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Just sent adjusted temps only spreadsheet to your email icon_thumleft