Peruvian and Dominican palm seeds

Palmpje

Peruvian and Dominican palm seeds

Post by Palmpje »

My post below is actually a post I already made today on the EPS forum. Because I don't know if it's allowed here to make a direct link, and I don't want to break any rules here on this beautiful forum, I have made a copy of the text:

:D

Thanks to the contacts I have in Iquitos ( peru ) I could help you bringing the peruvian jungle close to you. These species are available:

Euterpe oleracea
Mauritia flexuosa
bactris gasipaes
Astrocaryum chambira

These are all species that are easy to obtain because of the economical interest that they have in the society there ( fruit and construction material )

In the future, I will have, thanks to contacts with an university there the ability to seek more species.

At this point I don't want seeds, but I would like you to have the ability to get the seeds cheap and easily.

I have very good contacts there ( family of my wifes friend ). These people are very honest.

People there are very poor, so I would like to make them earn something minimal on this ( they have to collect the seeds too and do the trouble; cleaning, packing, etc... ). Because I prefer open communication I would suggest this:

1/ seek if there is interest in the forum
2/ if there is sufficient interest, I would contact her and tell her about it ( I already discussed the idea)
3/ make a list here of what is needed
4/ let them make a price quote with transport price
5/ let it send to one of you guys in the uk ( because i don't want seeds now, it's just cheaper and more easy )

I'm open for suggestions.

Because my wife is Dominican, I can also try to provide species from Dominican republic.

Well this is it, I will see if there is interest in this icon_thumleft

http://www.palmsociety.org.uk/forum/top ... picid=5048
Conifers

Re: Peruvian and Dominican palm seeds

Post by Conifers »

Palmpje wrote: I can also try to provide species from Dominican republic.
Can you get cones / seeds / herbarium specimens of Hispaniolan Pine Pinus occidentalis? Fairly common in most of upland Dominican Rep., up to the summit of Pico Duarte. I'd like them for botanical study.

Note for everyone: as Pico Duarte reaches 3175m, seeds (of any species) collected at the summit might just possibly be hardy outdoors in milder parts of Britain.
Palmpje

Post by Palmpje »

Dear conifers, that is a bit hard to explain to my family over there. Do you have a picture of what you exactly want?
I can't promise anything, but i'm always willing to give it a try and to help you out.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Thanks!

Dried plant specimens, looks like this:
Attachments
0001.jpg