Another wind storm for January 3rd/4th/5th......

Adam D

Another wind storm for January 3rd/4th/5th......

Post by Adam D »

There looks to be another big wind storm coming to hit the UK in a couple of days time.

I have been following this on UKWW and there looks to be two areas that will be hit.

According to Paul Bilght's excellent analysis the first is much of England with gusts ahead of cold front that will come through that could reach 60-65 Knts and isolated 70Knts in exposure in the SW, South Coast and squeezing through the Straights of Dover.

The second area to be hit, depending on the exact track, will be across Central / SW Scotland, probable N Ireland and the Borders into NE England. Here gusts to 65-75Knts with gusts to 80-90mph highly possible in exposure and possibly even affecting the Central Belt of Scotland.

Time to batten down the hatches!
pdid

Re: Another wind storm for January 3rd

Post by pdid »

Hopefully might catch a break with this one then.

If I loose any more ridge tiles i`ll be :-x :-x :-x
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

I've had my aerial twisted by 90 degrees and the rotary washing line pole bent double in the last 2 weeks, but I'd rather that than severe frost :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

The storm looks like it will now track slightly further south than last December's one. This could cause big problems for the Central Belt :eeek:
pdid

Post by pdid »

Adam D wrote:The storm looks like it will now track slightly further south than last December's one. This could cause big problems for the Central Belt :eeek:
butter :cry: :cry: :cry:

Who comes up with these? Bugg3r
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

pdid wrote:
Adam D wrote:The storm looks like it will now track slightly further south than last December's one. This could cause big problems for the Central Belt :eeek:
boogwar :cry: :cry: :cry:

Who comes up with these? Bugg3r
The Met Office :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Exotic Life »

Dave Brown wrote:I've had my aerial twisted by 90 degrees and the rotary washing line pole bent double in the last 2 weeks, but I'd rather that than severe frost :wink:
Same thoughts here. I do prefer wind above frost as well, but the many rain that is falling here too is not needed anymore.

From record low riverheights in the end of November to some flooding in the end of December!
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Dave Brown wrote:I've had my aerial twisted by 90 degrees and the rotary washing line pole bent double in the last 2 weeks, but I'd rather that than severe frost :wink:
Bummer about the aerial and washing line.

Our washing line goes away from October to March as it is normally too windy or cold to dry much out there without fear of your clothes ending up in someone else's garden!

Most of the aerials up here were put up 8 years ago when the estate was finished and none of them have been twisted. I wonder if Scottish aerial fitters secure them more because we expect to receive windier weather? No doubt they will charge extra for it though.

Looks like I am now at the bottom edge of the area likely to be hit the worst :(
Ste

Post by Ste »

Watched the weather forecast before, it gave a warning for tomorrow saying winds up to 80 mph to hit Scotland, doesn't look much better here either in the North West :x
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

There is a 50% chance that the SW of Scotland could be hit by gusts of 90+mph!

It's looking pretty serious now.

Fingers crossed the storm does not end up as bad :fingerscrossed:
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

I've just woke up as this storm is very severe here - I'm not even sure it was forecast to be half of what it is right now - at the moment were getting sustained winds of 60mph and gusts approaching and sometimes exceeding 80mph - constant smashing and cracking going on - it's too much like the Burns day storm of 1990
pdid

Post by pdid »

93 mph being reported somewhere in North Wales.

It`s windy here but no more so than the last few wind storms at the moment :!:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Bags of rubbish all over the place as no collection for 2 weeks and due today. I did not put mine out overnight as the forecast was for 50 to 60MPH gusts. Most people just stick it outside anyway "not my problem now, pal", but I can't see the collectors running up and down the road chasing it :roll:

My covered area sliding doors ended up with one half of the runner coming off, so was in danger of blowing the doors in. Was out at 07:30 doing emergency repairs. Runners now secured and batons screwed in place to stop the doors moving inwards.

A 15ft branch from the Eucalyptus globulus (Blue Gum) came down in the road at some point overnight.

Max gust so far 96.1kph (61mph)

Pics won't load onto laptop at the moment. I'll add them later
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Pic of the branch that came down. Had to be moved for Aidan to get out to work.
Attachments
2012-01-03 08-25-52 3rd Jan Storm.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I will post a pic if I can get it out of my phone of a tree that has come down at work miising a car by 1 second.....The woman will never be as lucky again !
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !