Another wind storm for January 3rd/4th/5th......

Nathan

Re: Another wind storm for January 3rd

Post by Nathan »

Leigh wrote:Loads of Trees and fence panels down locally and a Tornado has hit parts of Southsea apparently
Had more than a few Banana leaves snapped off and garden looks a real mess now
Just saw the damage from the tornado on Meridian Tonight, thankfully it was in eastern Southsea & Eastney, though I had enough damage in my garden from the 70 mph winds, my banana's are trashed too :(
Ste

Post by Ste »

still got strong winds here at the minute. My large Trachycarpus looks a right mess :x
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Ste wrote:still got strong winds here at the minute. My large Trachycarpus looks a right mess :x
Mine has taken a battering as well.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

My garden was a mess to start with, so I don't know if anything was damamged :lol:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

a tad windy!! :shock: :lol:

Not sure what happened up here. We had the cold front at around 08:30 and it was a real mess for about 30 minutes but after that we never really got much more than a stiff breeze?!?!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
billdango

Post by billdango »

The strongest winds so far in Southampton today with gusts to 70 miles per hour.

Quite wet too with over half an inch of rain recorded.

Bananas look a mess with most leaves snapped off now but still growing from center.

Still windy tonight but from a north west direction.

billdango. :( :(
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

If I look to the coldfront coming trough in Dave's his vid, then I have the conclude that it was much stronger here. Mix of rain, hail and high windspeeds when it was coming trough. Specially the cold front brought the most damage here, most in the northwest because the substained winds where also there. Roofs came down from the houses.

Another problems is the many rain what is falling down here. Everything is soaked and the ground can't take the rain anymore. Some smaller rivers came outside there borders and give some local floodings. Some places use there emergency area's, meadows that can be flooded by too much rain. Also several pomps are working to move the water to the bigger lakes and sea.

The map below is the rainfall in just 4 days, and after that soaked december with some places near the 200 mm it's too much.

Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

How about tonight and tomorrow? They are forecasting similair conditions like yesterday with possible even stronger wind gusts. Another active cold front looks like is coming. Also loads of rain again with some places another 20 mm forecasted, specially the north again.
jezza

Post by jezza »

The forecast for my area is still windy but not as strong as the last one. Had hardly any rain either but it's started to lash it down this evening.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

few spots and windy here now but look at my local forecast. Gusts to 61mph overnight :ahhh!:
Attachments
2012-01-04 Chalk forecast.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by jezza »

You got it alot worse than me considering you're not mega far away from me.

Screenshot-2.png
Exotic Life

Post by Exotic Life »

Well along the coast and specially the north has take some preparing for tonight and tomorrow. The forecast is similair substained wind speeds and gusts up to 110-130 km per hour (63-80 mph). However the cards give much more potential if everything came on the right place and right time. Some cards shows even potential wind gusts for the northwest to 150 km per hour (93 mph). Preparing is mostly for the water because the winds came from the wrong direction to get rid off the too much water. We will see but it's going to be rough tomorrow again.

Wind gust from 145 km per hour (90 mph) yesterday is valid and it looks like the wind gust from 173 km per hour (107 mph) at the place IJmuiden as well.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Well that forecast i posted earlier was a load of old twaddle, already getting 40mph gusts. Luckily the change of direction and the position of mine and my neighbours houses mean my back garden is not getting hit by the wind, but my front garden is taking a hefty battering. My T fortunei will look crappe tomorrow.
stephenprudence

Post by stephenprudence »

This winter has been exceptionally windy, outside now it's once again roaring against the window. The jet really is having a ball over the last month.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

what site are those from ????
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !