My garden history!

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
Springy

Re: My garden history!

Post by Springy »

pdid wrote:Very nice Springy.

Couple of what`s that questions?

1. The blue spikey in the last set of pics, yucca, dasylirion or something else?
2. And the plant next to your tetrapanex? (I have a vague recolection of brugmansia for some reason)

Cheers
Phil
Thanks Phil icon_thumleft
Yep, Daisylirion wheelerii and brugmansia. I'm not sure I spelt the first one right as it's a new purchase and I haven't mastered the spelling of it yet ( or maybe I have?!!) :D
kata

Post by kata »

Build an in/unpenetrable hedge like Quickthorn :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They won't fall in that and forget it.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I may try that Infranview myself even though I have Roxio. There are plugins and addons too...hmm..yep.

:D
pdid

Post by pdid »

Springy wrote:
Thanks Phil icon_thumleft
Yep, Daisylirion wheelerii and brugmansia. I'm not sure I spelt the first one right as it's a new purchase and I haven't mastered the spelling of it yet ( or maybe I have?!!) :D
Haha, minus a couple of i`s, Dasylirion Wheeleri and you`ve cracked it.....

.......I think icon_thumleft

Cheers
grub

Post by grub »

Nice job Springy, you'll have to pop up here in the summer icon_thumright .
Springy

Post by Springy »

grub wrote:Nice job Springy, you'll have to pop up here in the summer icon_thumright .
Thanks Grub, I'd love to come and visit at some stage. Your garden looks well established and jungly! icon_thumleft
ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

Nice transformation, and great planting. I generally don't like flowers, but they way you have arrange the plants, it works well. Might have to start adding some now.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Thankyou ash!
I think that I base my garden on the idea of Christopher lloyds garden. I do like the combination of flowers and foliage, plus I would never want a garden devoid of bees, butterflies, moths and birds etc that adds more interest and another dimension to the garden.
Simba

Post by Simba »

That is an incredible transformation, what a marvellous imagination for design you have.... icon_thumleft
Springy

Post by Springy »

Simba wrote:That is an incredible transformation, what a marvellous imagination for design you have.... icon_thumleft
Thanks Simba!
Whenever I plant anything, create a wall or change a bed shape I always leave it for a while before committing myself to it. It has to look right where it is but also look right in the overall scope of the garden. I'll stand a plant in place and then view it from every possible angle of the garden and house until I'm totally happy that it's in the right place. I also look for opportunities to underplant or grow annual climbers etc to create different layers of planting.

Your garden looks great and is one of the many gardens on here that has made me want to start this post! icon_salut
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

WOW! stunning job :D

What is the timescale from start to finish?

Love how narrow the grass path gets in some pics, real jungle feel.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Springy wrote:Whenever I plant anything, create a wall or change a bed shape I always leave it for a while before committing myself to it.
I understand you completely, in everything being in exactly the right place, but I should take a leaf out of your book....my plants get dizzy with the amount of times I replant them untill I am content........... :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

I enjoy moving plants sometimes as much as planting them in the first place :lol:
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

That`s the problem i have. I have literally dozens of plants in storage at the moment that i want to plant out in the Spring but i`m really struggling to think where to put them all. And i understand that you don`t only have to think about how they look when planted , but how they`ll look in ten years time. I find the whole `plant placement` thing the hardest part of making a Tropical garden. You seem to have it sussed Springy.Very well done.
Springy

Post by Springy »

cordyman wrote:WOW! stunning job :D

What is the timescale from start to finish?

Love how narrow the grass path gets in some pics, real jungle feel.
Thankyou! Cordy!

We got the keys to the house on 31st of October 2009, and the first picture is of the garden the morning we picked the keys up! The house and garden was like a tip literally. There was stuff everywhere and we filled several skips with the stuff that the previous owner left behind. That was before we gutted the place and done it up! We eventually moved in on the 1st march 2010

I had plants from my last house potted up and stored at my Mums during the winter of 2009 but I did manage to get a few bits in place before and during that winter so some things have endured the last 3 (including this one),winters here.
Ste

Post by Ste »

Wow - what a difference now to when you first moved in. Excellent job icon_thumleft