Cycas Siamensis Silver Leaf

Ste

Cycas Siamensis Silver Leaf

Post by Ste »

Just came across these whilst looking online. These come from Thailand, has anyone here had a go at one of these? They do look rather nice.
Attachments
Cycas Siamensis Silver Leaf.jpg
Conifers

Re: Cycas Siamensis Silver Leaf

Post by Conifers »

Plastic! Or else a photoshop job.

No real plant would be able to grow without chlorophyll like that.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

There are some absolutely stunning cycads, I'd love to build up a huge collection but, unfortunately, they are incredibly expensive at any sort of a decent size.

If you started buying seedlings now Ste you'd be paying £20-£50 and would have some incredible plants by the time you'd retired.

I love these:

ENCEPHALARTOS LEHMANII: for sale
including seedlings for $55 and 7 year old plants for $185.

Have a look at this American site

http://www.junglemusic.net/NEW_PLANT_AR ... ugust.html

it has some good info on cycads.
Last edited by GoggleboxUK on Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Here you go Ste:

Seeds

http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/119 ... _Leaf.html

Bulb

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-Bulb-Cycas- ... 563bca1438

;)
Simba

Post by Simba »

GoggleboxUK wrote:There are some absolutely stunning cycads, I'd love to build up a huge collection but, unfortunately, they are incredibly expensive at any sort of a decent size..
Not necessarily....

If you keep your eyes peeled, you can find some decent sized caudex at affordable prices, perhaps not Lehmannii, but certainly varieties of Cycas & Dioon...

If you can give me a small list of anything in particular you want, I will be happy to have a look for you.... icon_thumright
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

"seedstocycads" have some small ones (ebay) , i've been tempted for quite a while now. There's also a lady in germany has / had some germinated seeds too.
call

Post by call »

i read this online
Cycas siamensis siamensis (2 years old seedling)
The rare silver form of is a very striking plant, both glinting and elegantly characterized by its emergent leaves that are more silvery-grey than the standard species. The leaves retain much of this colouring over time. However the young seedlings are dark green in colour for some years.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I've had 3 seedlings from Michael (seedstocycads) and they're great quality.

Trouble is, I've no windowsills available now, have just taken over my son's room with 15 Busy Lizzies, the last remaining room in the house without plants has now been invaded!
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

call wrote:i read this online
Cycas siamensis siamensis (2 years old seedling)
The rare silver form of is a very striking plant, both glinting and elegantly characterized by its emergent leaves that are more silvery-grey than the standard species. The leaves retain much of this colouring over time. However the young seedlings are dark green in colour for some years.
That last bit is to dissuade you from complaining until the bogus seller is long safely out of your way :lol:
call

Post by call »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Conifers wrote:Plastic! Or else a photoshop job.

Nope Con they are real, the white colour comes not from a lack of chlorophyll but from fine white hairs that cover the new fronds. As they mature a lot of the hairs are lost but the plant still looks very silvery white.

Ive got some seedlings Ste that Ive had for maybe 9 months. I think they will do well here in Darwin as they come from a part of Thailand which has a very wet/dry monsoonal climate like ours. Seedlings are a bit slow growing and dont seem to like it too wet but Im hoping Ill get a couple of decent looking plants out of them. And yes Con my seedlings have green leaves...

Here is a link to an Ebayer in Australia who has seedlings and sprouted seedlings of this cycad for sale. He is a good seller and Im sure that he sends to the UK;

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/gulubia/m.ht ... 513&_pgn=1
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Troppoz wrote:
Conifers wrote:Plastic! Or else a photoshop job.

Nope Con they are real, the white colour comes not from a lack of chlorophyll but from fine white hairs that cover the new fronds. As they mature a lot of the hairs are lost but the plant still looks very silvery white.
Thanks!
Ste

Post by Ste »

Cheers Sean, I knew they had to be real because I googled pics of them but not all pics looked as white as that.
I've seen the seller also on ebay and some websites which all ship world wide but they do all say that its out of their hands with what ever our customs decides to do. This country would be ok to order them, I dont think customs even check. Royal mail delivered a 100,000 volt stun gun to my mate which he ordered from Germany - How did that get through icon_scratch
I know its a lot tougher in Australia with what comes in the country so not ideal to order plants from other countries. I remember watching a programme last year and it was a racing team from wherever and they were racing in Australia. The big truck what was carrying the racing car all had to be checked and I remember they found a leaf under one of the wheel arches and the truck had to be quarantined :ahhh!:
Fair play though if they dont want any diseases/infectiones coming in their country, unlike Britain that lets anything in.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I never worry about things like that Ste, I ap via Paypal so if I don't get it I instantly escalate a case to a claim and cash back ;)

Ebays new policy is even better because THEY give you the cash back and then chase the seller on your behalf.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Ste I think weve gone overboard here in Australia with quarantine. I tend to ignore it...

Im pretty sure that bringing seeds into the UK from Australia is perfectly legal, I know that the Ebayer with the cycad seed send to Europe.