Cycas revoluta fronds.

karl66

Cycas revoluta fronds.

Post by karl66 »

My biggest Cycas revoluta has today had all the fronds cut off as for some reason they went yellow :x . It has a massive caudex of about 20 inches so was a real shame. Ihave no hot house to sweat the crown in, so its been left outside to fend for itself, whats my best way to make it flush again quickly?.
kata

Re: Cycas revoluta fronds.

Post by kata »

Frost I decided Karl,

Looked out window this morning iand could'nt believe even new summer fronds gone yellow overnight. Now I'll just wait for the orange mush to appear.

After that....its gone to recycle.

icon_cheers
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Kata, please dont say that, it would cost me £250/300 to replace. A nursery man told me today to cut them off & wait for the next flush. This cyad was in A1 condition only 6wks ago , i think the frond damage was done by either to much heat when we changed its room or i've unconciously overwatered it, it's seen no outside temprature of less than 1c. karl.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

mines been in the garage all winter and looks great.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
kata

Post by kata »

Kata, please dont say that, it would cost me £250/300 to replace.

Karl, please don't worry about yours. I have fallen out with Cycads in favor of Trackis. Thats why I said if it does't behave its fodder...do'nt worry about yours Karl.

I just left mine with no cover of any kind as its been quite mild this winter.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mines not been watered once since October and still has lush dark green leaves.

Karl it may flush this or next year. From June give it loads of water, like your trying to drown it plus a light weekly feed. It will hopefully flush bu August.

DB has a good technique also where he "cooks" it by placing a cloche over it.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

karl66 wrote:Kata, please dont say that, it would cost me £250/300 to replace. A nursery man told me today to cut them off & wait for the next flush. This cyad was in A1 condition only 6wks ago , i think the frond damage was done by either to much heat when we changed its room or i've unconciously overwatered it, it's seen no outside temprature of less than 1c. karl.
Karl, as long as the caudex feels solid, I would say you have nothing to worry about. These are funny 'ole things, some years they flush, others they don't, but as soon as it's ready, it will flush. I've also read that when it's devoid of its leaves, the chances are it will flush more readily. I hope it flushes this year for you. Good luck. A potted one here I just bring it out of the garage when the weather warms up a bit and most years it flushes. You watch, now I've said that, it will miss a beat this year :lol: I keep mine well watered once its out the garage permanantly and the weathers good icon_cheers
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Karl, don't be too worried about Kata's diagnosis, just have a read if this topic by Dave, he knows what he's talking about:

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... cad+baking
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

A good way to make a Cycad flush is to wait until late May/early June & submerge the whole pot in water, so it goes over the soil level. Leave it like that for around 5 days, then place the pot in a warm sunny spot. It should trick the plant into thinking it has been in the monsoon season, after which they naturally send out a new flush. A feed of lawn fertiliser will help too...
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

once the flush starts......do you keep watering them or let it dry out ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

The Codfather wrote:once the flush starts......do you keep watering them or let it dry out ?
Keep watering during a flush or the new fronds will be damaged.

The chances of getting a new flush are much higher if it has been defoliated, but the fronds may be a lot smaller.

I unwrapped mine today, although only been wrapped for about 3 weeks, but is always good to see the fronds are ok. As has been said allis not lost if it loses the fronds, but I wouldn't recommend doing it on a yearly basis, or it will fade away.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

mine have browned off 90% for the 3rd year in a row but i didnt cover it this winter. has flushed last two years after defoliating but reckon if it does this year,they will be very stunted
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

cheers.... icon_thumright Mine was in the garage in a pot....so current fonds are green.
AKA - Martin

kata

Post by kata »

Kata's diagnosis, just have a read if this topic by Dave, he knows what he's talking about:
I was talking about mine, I also said to Karl I meant mine. Do try to keep up. Also I do KNOW about mine.

Try to be less eagar to chip away at me, if you don't mind.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Kata, the reason I told Karl to ignore your diagnosis was mainly down to the fact that you've only recently decided your cycad was actually frost damaged after ages describing it as variegated.