NEW CYCAD FOSSIL FOUND IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC

kata

NEW CYCAD FOSSIL FOUND IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC

Post by kata »

Please find a new photo of a cycad trunk found in September 2011 in Silesia (Northern Czech Republic). The photo depicts a Cycadeoidea trunk (Bennettitiales) with a beautifully preserved "flower" and leaf scars found in glacial deposits. It was probably brought by a glacier from Poland.
This is the first Cycadeoidea trunk found in the Czech republic (we already have other genuses of fossil cycads

http://www.cykasy.cz/Atlas/Fosilie_cykasu.html

icon_cheers
sanatic1234

Re: NEW CYCAD FOSSIL FOUND IN THE CZECH REPUBLIC

Post by sanatic1234 »

EXCELLENT POST KATA!

It must be a real buzz to unearth fossils like that, dating back so many year ago. And it amazes me the conditions they are still in. :D
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks San,

There may be more such posts in future.

Although Trachi are now my first love I am still interested in plant history on Cycads. There should be a reply or two when I look at my email list for Cycads.

From the same list I saw a link to a site where a Cycad was fine at a whopping -27..Bulgaria. Not sure if he sells to Europe but he does sell his stock.

Don't quote me but maybe a seedling or two would do well here San...make them more hardy for us. :lol: :lol: :lol:
kata

Post by kata »

Cycad Fossil PDF San,

All Images are copyright.

http://www.plantapalm.com/vce/evolution/fossils.pdf

icon_cheers
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Interesting post Kata.

Cycadioides (Bennetitaleans) arent actually cycads, but are 'cycad like' primitive plants. A lot of primitive plants had the same appearance, that is a single trunk topped with a crown of ferny or palmy looking leaves.

Its a shame a lot of the ancient plants arent still with us, Id love to have some of the seed-ferns or the massive lycophytes growing in my garden...
kata

Post by kata »

Its a shame a lot of the ancient plants arent still with us,
It is Sean. Jungles are the lungs of the world, the jungle plants a world medicine chest. The guilty loggers don't know how crucial those plants are they are mowing down.

You seem to know quite a bit about plant biology names... :lol: :lol: Although we had Biology at school it was body not plants which is a great pity, they may have got my attention. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thats strange...Dave...

In edit/writing then proof reading my post I see the word 'jungle twice which is correct. But when I post it its giving me jungle and jingle :( not jungle and jungle.. have you done the same words (any same words) as spam?
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

Hi Kata,

Was it a volcano that made a trace of the frond on the stone? How they find the age of these fossils is still a mystery to me as I can't find my Cycas age that I bought. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
kata

Post by kata »

Do you think it got fried Mat.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the Mesozoic, there was a generally dry and hot climate, which suit the development of cycads. Cycads are well equipped to grow in dry conditions. The strains were protected against frequent fires. The findings are known Triassic genus from Antarctica and Antarcticycas arborizing Bjuvia simplex from Sweden. The jury cones come Androstrobus family, part-time female cones Beanie family and many families, for example, leaf Ctenis, and Pseudoctenis Nilsonia). The Cretaceous deposits are found similar types of foliage, however, increasing the female representatives with compact cones (eg Microzamia). Already in the Late Cretaceous, when angiosperms development leads to a reduction cycads. This decline continued during the Tertiary and čtvrohor in a sense continues today. Due to their resistance to fire, the alkaloid content cykasinu and symbiotic ties with cykasům able to withstand competition from flowering plants and survive until today. However, there are usually quite rare, sometimes as relics. However, among them several species-rich genera such as Cycas, Encephalartos, and Zamia.
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

kata wrote:Do you think it got fried Mat.......... :lol: :lol: :lol:

In the Mesozoic, there was a generally dry and hot climate, which suit the development of cycads. Cycads are well equipped to grow in dry conditions. The strains were protected against frequent fires. The findings are known Triassic genus from Antarctica and Antarcticycas arborizing Bjuvia simplex from Sweden. The jury cones come Androstrobus family, part-time female cones Beanie family and many families, for example, leaf Ctenis, and Pseudoctenis Nilsonia). The Cretaceous deposits are found similar types of foliage, however, increasing the female representatives with compact cones (eg Microzamia). Already in the Late Cretaceous, when angiosperms development leads to a reduction cycads. This decline continued during the Tertiary and čtvrohor in a sense continues today. Due to their resistance to fire, the alkaloid content cykasinu and symbiotic ties with cykasům able to withstand competition from flowering plants and survive until today. However, there are usually quite rare, sometimes as relics. However, among them several species-rich genera such as Cycas, Encephalartos, and Zamia.
icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch icon_scratch
kata

Post by kata »

I got the block of text where I found the original topic Conifers, all I did was get Google to translate it.

icon_cheers

Oh, I found a great site for Fossils yesterday...you buy them though.

:lol: