jubaea kew

Andy J

Re: jubaea kew

Post by Andy J »

Although this may annoy some people, at the end of the day its just a plant. It can be replaced and in time it will get as big again.

The building its in is of far more importance than the plants inside in my opinon and if losing the Jub ensures the continued existence of the glasshouse then so be it.

Its all very well saying "why did they let it get that big?" but the fact remains they did and that cant be changed. Hopefully lessons have been learned from this and in the future the plants inside will be repositioned before they become too big to move and have to be destroyed.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

[quote="Yorkshire Kris"]

Is Kew worth a visit? :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think so :lol: :lol: :lol:

The top five? Has to be a personal choice. Choose your top five after you've seen everything :D

On second thoughts, make number one the Jubaea before it's gone icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

GREVILLE wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:

The top five? Has to be a personal choice. Choose your top five after you've seen everything :D

I take that as a yes then.

Easy to get to from Kings Cross?
pdid

Post by pdid »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
GREVILLE wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:

I take that as a yes then.

Easy to get to from Kings Cross?
IIRC tube drops you pretty much at the front gate icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Easy to get to from Kings Cross?[/quote][/quote][/quote]

IIRC tube drops you pretty much at the front gate icon_thumleft[/
icon_thumleft
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

A short walk (5 min.?) from the Kew Gardens tube station.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Yorkshire Kris wrote: Is Kew worth a visit? It takes me 2 hours to get to Kings Cross then public transport to Kew. Is it easy to do?

What are the top 5 things to see there?

It sure is, there isnt a better place here on the mainland.
top 5,
Palm House
Temperate House
Princess of Wales Conservatory
The grounds in general
the Lily house
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Adrian wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote: Is Kew worth a visit? It takes me 2 hours to get to Kings Cross then public transport to Kew. Is it easy to do?

What are the top 5 things to see there?

top 5,
Palm House
Temperate House
The grounds in general
the Lily house

Right that's my next day out sorted. icon_thumleft
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

I guarantee you'll enjoy it, Kris. One day out will not be enough :wink:

Four Jubaeas in one place - that's a Jub Crawl :mrgreen:
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:
Adrian wrote:
top 5,
Palm House
Temperate House
The grounds in general
the Lily house
Right that's my next day out sorted. icon_thumleft
Watch out, if I remember rightly, it takes something like an hour to get from Kings Cross to Kew Gardens on the tube. You need to make one change; take the Picadilly Line from KgsX to Gloucester Road or Barons Court*, and change there to the District Line for Kew Gardens.

You'll also need to take a huge amount of money to get in.

* Picadilly and District lines actually share 5 stations where they run together and you could change at (South Kensington, Gloucester Road, Earl's Court, Barons Court, Hammersmith), but at some of them you have to change platforms; at Gloucester Road and Barons Court (if I'm remembering rightly!) you stay on the same platform.

It's more like a 15-20 minute walk from Kew Gardens station to the Main Entrance, but just 5 mins to the Victoria Gate. On the pic below, the red circle is Kew Gardens station; red line to V for the Victoria Gate, and pink line to M for the Main Gate.
Attachments
Kew.jpg
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

quote="Yorkshire Kris"]
Adrian wrote:
top 5,
Palm House
Temperate House
The grounds in general
the Lily house
Right that's my next day out sorted. icon_thumleft[/quote]
Watch out, if I remember rightly, it takes something like an hour to get from Kings Cross to Kew Gardens on the tube. You need to make one change; take the Picadilly Line from KgsX to Gloucester Road or Barons Court*, and change there to the District Line for Kew Gardens.

You'll also need to take a huge amount of money to get in.

* Picadilly and District lines actually share 5 stations where they run together and you could change at (South Kensington, Gloucester Road, Earl's Court, Barons Court, Hammersmith), but at some of them you have to change platforms; at Gloucester Road and Barons Court (if I'm remembering rightly!) you stay on the same platform.

It's more like a 15-20 minute walk from Kew Gardens station to the Main Entrance, but just 5 mins to the Victoria Gate. On the pic below, the red circle is Kew Gardens station; red line to V for the Victoria Gate, and pink line to M for the Main Gate.[/quote]

Many thanks for the effort put into explaining that Conifers. I will keep this info and go and look at the Kew website for prices etc. I was hoping it was free admission, guess not!
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:quote="Yorkshire Kris"]
The best places to change are Baron's Court and Hammersmith. At Gloucester Road you have to go up in a lift and then back down some stairs. I think it would definitely take the best part of an hour to get there from Kings Cross.

Last time I checked adult entry was close to £15!!!
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

leunerj wrote:The best places to change are Baron's Court and Hammersmith. At Gloucester Road you have to go up in a lift and then back down some stairs. I think it would definitely take the best part of an hour to get there from Kings Cross.

Last time I checked adult entry was close to £15!!!
Thanks for clarifying - it's a long time since I was last down that way, and couldn't remember for certain which the best stations were
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Last time I was there was 2 years ago and the admission fee was £15.

I don't know which entrance is the main entrance, but I don't think that matters, as you will probably want to see every corner of the gardens anyway. The one closest to the tube is 5 mins.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

otorongo wrote:Last time I was there was 2 years ago and the admission fee was £15.

I don't know which entrance is the main entrance, but I don't think that matters, as you will probably want to see every corner of the gardens anyway. The one closest to the tube is 5 mins.
Admission is £12.90 icon_thumleft