My Cycas as promised, advice appreciated please

Kerinsian

My Cycas as promised, advice appreciated please

Post by Kerinsian »

Hi. this is the plant I was searching for information on when I found this forum... Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks :)
cycas2.jpg
It's in a large glazed ceramic pot which may be too big for it (not sure) and at the moment it's sitting in about half & half compost & sand, and I only water it when it's bone dry because the pot only has one hole in the bottom. The "trunk" is about 5 & a wee bit inches diameter, 19 inches circumference, and from soil to the tip is about 7 inches high. The damage to the leaves you see happened a few weeks back during that lovely hot sunny spell we had in March, and seems to only happen on sunny hot days, so I'm assuming it's some sort of scorch caused by the conservatory roof magnifying the sun... is that right or could it be something else?

Also, from the pics I've seen here, my pot seems to be pretty big, should I re-pot it back into something smaller? It's really heavy and a beggar to move in and out each year in its present pot, so if I could do that it would be good.
kata

Re: My Cycas as promised, advice appreciated please

Post by kata »

It looks a big Cycad so it should be fine,

The yellow is probably frost damage. Also these plants tend to be on the dry side.

In autumn/winter bring it close to the house, or in a conservatory if you have one. If its outside all the time then in frost tie the fronds and fleece the whole plant, remove on nice days.

Some nice potted Cycads here.

http://www.palmsnorth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=932

Put up some more Images so we get a clear picture of the problem.

We all need some icon_sunny icon_sunny
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

It lives in the conservatory from October to at least May kata, and sailed through this winter with all healthy green fronds, this damage pretty much all happened a couple of weeks ago when it was sunny!

There are some lovely ones in those pics, thanks for the link :)
kata

Post by kata »

Hmm..well Kerinsian,

I'm going to say its got burnt through the glass then. Its so easy to forget how hot sun can be through glass, as in a car, even a little sun.

I put my baby Bird of Paradise on the window sill and burnt a leaf.

Anyway just move it out the morning sun in the conservatory, it will flush new fronds in the summer to replace those.

Yes Josef has some beauties. :mrgreen:
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Kerinsian wrote:It lives in the conservatory from October to at least May... this damage pretty much all happened a couple of weeks ago when it was sunny!
Yes, I think it's sunburn. The trouble is we don't expect baking hot temperatures in March and it caught us out too. We have some sun burnt palms! Our cycad has been outside since the warm weather with just fleece chucked over it if a frost is forecast. Perhaps you could leave it out now? If I'm not mistaken, yours also looks like it's getting ready to flush. Hope so, all those lovely new leaves to come! :D

Ness
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Sorry to Hijack but how can you tell when ones ready to flush?
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

The brownish centre has lots of pointy bits :lol: When ours doesn't do that, we give it a bath of warm water for a couple of hours. Then take it out and leave it to drain. A flush of new leaves usually follows quite quickly after that. Only do it in warm weather though icon_thumleft

Ness
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Cool icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

Not all Cycads flush every year, some more than once,

You can soak the whole plant in a dish of water in summer to try to get a flush, I did that and got four new fronds.

Andy, if you get a flush do not move it, it distorts your flush.

:mrgreen:
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

HarryandNess wrote:The brownish centre has lots of pointy bits
The funny thing is, mine ALWAYS has those pointy bits and has done since I got it 6 years ago, but it only flushes when it feels like it, maybe once a year, & between 5 & 8 fronds at a time.

I don't have any fleece in case of frosts, so should I put it out now to get a soaking in all this rain or wait until it's a bit warmer? :)
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

It wouldn't hurt to let it have some rain as long as the soil is very well drained (water should run straight through) and it gets some warmth afterwards. All plants that have been kept inside all winter need gradual introduction to the outside. Our neighbours probably think I'm mad taking plants in and out, especially at the moment :lol:

Ness
kata

Post by kata »

The funny thing is, mine ALWAYS has those pointy bits and has done since I got it 6 years ago,
Thats part of the caudex don't worry.

:mrgreen:
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

It went out today after all, I'll just have to give it a hat and wrap an old duvet around it if the rain carries on for too long or a frost is forecast :lol:

And I'm not really worried, it's survived me for 6 years so far :DD