When to re-pot butia seedling

Adam r

When to re-pot butia seedling

Post by Adam r »

Hi

I have a butia seedling which I bought off eBay in an 8 cm deep pot. I'm not sure how old it is but it has had atleast 3 leaves removed that I can see and it has two fully grown leaves and one about halfway through which is growing but slowly.
My question is, will it need re-potting, what size pot should I put it in and what growing medium should I use?

I would be very grateful for any help as I want my little butia to stay healthy.

Thanks

Adam
HarryandNess

Re: When to re-pot butia seedling

Post by HarryandNess »

The best thing to do Adam is take a picture and post it on here. Did it arrive bare root or in a pot?

Ness
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

I can't upload pics on the site because I don't have the Internet in at the moment. I've been using my iPhone to use the site. The only thing I would be able to do would be to e-mail you a pic from my phone.
Yes it came in a 8cm pot which is pretty deep. I've been trying to keep the compost moist but not too wet.

Adam
pdid

Post by pdid »

Adam r wrote:I can't upload pics on the site because I don't have the Internet in at the moment. I've been using my iPhone to use the site. The only thing I would be able to do would be to e-mail you a pic from my phone.
Yes it came in a 8cm pot which is pretty deep. I've been trying to keep the compost moist but not too wet.

Adam
Upload to somewhere like Flickr then link.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

That's a pretty deep pot. My general thinking is, if there's roots visible at the bottom, repot. Use a mix of 60% good compost mixed with 40% grit and or perlite. I always put a layer of gravel in the bottom too. Keep it in a sunny place, it would love it outside today and enjoy it. icon_sunny

Ness
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Hi Adam, I just re-read the detail doh! :lol: 8cms is not that deep. While speed reading my brain registered 8 inches, that's pretty deep :lol: :lol: .

Ness
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

What type of Butia is it? Eriospathas are said to be much more sensitive to root disturbance in the seedling stage so bear that in mind.
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78265992@N03/7172002702/

It's a butia capitata.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, what I meant was it's in a pot that is 8cm wide and it is about 13cm deep.

Thanks for the advice ness, Yes I can see some roots at the bottom of the pot.

Adam
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

I'd repot it in some nice warm compost and give it a nice drink of warm water :D
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

Ok thank you
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

i have a similar sized seedling of capitata/odorata

left outside all winter no protection, still alive

Hard as Nails!! icon_rambo
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

Thanks for the advice. I've re-potted my butia into a bigger pot and while I was on I re-potted both my trachycarpus nainital seedlings.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

fieldfest wrote:i have a similar sized seedling of capitata/odorata

left outside all winter no protection, still alive

Hard as Nails!! icon_rambo
Hard as nails says the man from the Isle of White!!!!!!

Have yyou ever been to Sunderland mid winter. :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol: :ahhh!: icon_thumright