Planting out ensete

Sat

Planting out ensete

Post by Sat »

I got a smallest ensete to plant out into the ground is now ok time to plant out.

There is slight chance of frost today in midlands but after that it does look ok 5-6 min temps at night

Does it need any special soil .?
Tom2006

Re: Planting out ensete

Post by Tom2006 »

Don't bother at the moment, it is just too cold for them. I would leave it until the weekend as it looks like we MIGHT have some slightly warmer temperatures, but there is still a real risk of frosts even in June so monitor the weather forecasts. I planted mine out last year in good compost mixed with a good few handfuls of perlite along with some chicken pellets. Both romped away.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
andyb

Post by andyb »

Tom2006 wrote:Don't bother at the moment, it is just too cold for them. I would leave it until the weekend as it looks like we MIGHT have some slightly warmer temperatures, but there is still a real risk of frosts even in June so monitor the weather forecasts. I planted mine out last year in good compost mixed with a good few handfuls of perlite along with some chicken pellets. Both romped away.
Agreed, even leave it till the end of the month as the soil will be that bit warmer and the plant will be a little bigger also
Sat

Post by Sat »

Thanks, will wait till june.

How much chicken pellets do you use.

And how often after planting do you apply chicken pellet as plant food through the season