Lipstick palm

B19bst

Lipstick palm

Post by B19bst »

Just wondered if anyone has grown one or has one. Don't know much about them so just bought some seeds.
kata

Re: Lipstick palm

Post by kata »

Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I've got some seeds going, no sprouts yet though. It's very much a gamble because they need tropical conditions. To keep one alive in the UK you will probably need a heated greenhouse/conservatory and regular misting.

As a slightly related note, I managed to buy a Chambeyronia macrocarpa seedling from Germany on ebay for a few quid. The emerging leaf is bright red, hence the common name 'Flamethrower palm'. I think this one is much, much easier to keep, though still not as easy as a Trachycarpus, etc.
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Yeah I think you would need extraordinary conditions to get this palm to thrive, as Vag pointed out is is very tropical in its requirements, probably more equatorial than tropical actually. I know this palm wont even grow in mid to southern Queensland because the winters are too cold. A shame, its a stunning plant when grown well and there are some very nice big specimens around here...

Still its always worth experimenting with these things, you never know you could get the right blend of conditions and genetics and keep one going. Just be prepared for the worst...
B19bst

Post by B19bst »

Thanks for that peeps.

I will try and if it does take off it will be an indoor plant so that's all good.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Germinated seeds a couple of years ago. Low light and trying to keep humidity up in winter meant they were all dead by spring.
Well thats my tuppence worth, you might have better fortune than me so good luck
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Troppoz wrote:Still its always worth experimenting with these things, you never know you could get the right blend of conditions and genetics and keep one going. Just be prepared for the worst...
Indeed, and if you haven't killed it then you can't say it won't grow! I lost a coconut palm in my conservatory, and that was before winter really even kicked in so I don't have high hopes for this one.

Check this one out though;

ash101uk

Post by ash101uk »

I brought some germinated seed of Cyrtostachys renda. They started to grow their first leaf, then all died. I won't be trying those again.

I've had better luck with Chambeyronia macrocarpa. Roberto on the EPS was selling fresh seed. He has sold these on a couple of occasions. 90% germinated very quickly. I think I kept the greenhouse 4-5 degrees, but they still suffered some leaf damage.
Attachments
IMGP3022.jpg