Trachycarpus f

kata

Trachycarpus f

Post by kata »

I noticed yesterday through the window,

My Trachi tips are extermely brown, is it because its in a pot? I changed the pot last year for a bigger one. :o

Its not waterlogged its on two seperate edge blocks of wood good sizes and thickness to allow drainage.

It was fed three months ago with Nig food granules.

Is this normal?

Its got three new spears one part opened.

Concerned..very. :(
The Codfather

Re: Trachicarpus f

Post by The Codfather »

normal......
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
kata

Post by kata »

Is it Coddy

I wondered also with the sun we did have, and the tips hanging away from the window did the tips burn.

I think it may need to move from where it is into a more shady spot...what you think Coddy?

Thanks for the rapid reply.

icon_cheers
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

shady spot....have you moved to spain. :lol:

Anys pics would help.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
kata

Post by kata »

I wish, thinking of the hot sun we got here earlier :lol: :lol:

I can piccy it later. :mrgreen:
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Trachys seem to do better in part shade K but as Coddy says, brown tips are common on lots of palm types. All my Trachys have them and so do my Chammies, Brahea, Jubaea......

;)
kata

Post by kata »

:( But it looks messy G, :(
trachispear1.jpg
trachitip.jpg
trachibrowntip.jpg
jezza

Post by jezza »

The Trachycarpus in my front garden. It took -18c last winter with NO protection whatsoever.....
HPIM7399.JPG
HPIM7400.JPG
HPIM7401.JPG

Perfectly normal so stop bloody panicking over it! 8)
kata

Post by kata »

oh :( Jez is shoutin at me Dave........ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yours looks more messed...ok ok.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
billdango

Post by billdango »

Don't worry Kata.

Most of mine get those brown leaf ends esp on the older leaves and the few I have in pots gets it as well.

Its usually caused by wind and sometimes by to much damp.

As the new leaves are unmarked it should be okay.

If its that annoying just trim the brown bits off with a pair of scissors[you can do this with house palms as well]?

Yellow leaves are usually caused by aging and can be cut of near the trunk.

rgds billdango :D
Andy P

Re: Trachycarpus f

Post by Andy P »

I`m glad Bill posted that because i have a Cerifera showing the same damage and it has been worrying me a tad. Having seen Bills garden and HIS palms i know how experienced he is at growing these. It`s put my mind at rest now. Cheers Bill icon_thumleft
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Snip them with scissors as Bill says. By coincidence earlier in the week I was up the step ladders giving my Trachycarpus a haircut. Some of the older leaves are brown and crispy at the ends and I was sick of looking at them. Cut them at an angle, looks more natural than cutting straight across :D
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Make sure you use sharp scissors so that there's no damage or you'll end up in the same position as you started.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Its called "brownbitting" that is trimming brown or damaged bits off palm leaves.

Its quite common to get these brown tips on house plants esp Chrysolidacarpus Lutescens or Howea forsteriana [kentia palm].

On indoor palms brown tips are usually caused by lack of humidity or underwatering.

On outdoor palms brown or yellow blotchy tips are caused by constant buffeting winds and constant rain.

I know as I live in corner house on one of the windest roads in Southampton.

billdango :(
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks very much everyone,

:mrgreen: