Palm feeding experiment THE RESULTS

Which palm will grow the best, with best root system and healthiest leaves?

1 Palm Focus
No votes
2 Palm Focus and Palmbooster
18%
3 Slow release
4%
4 Slow release and Palmbooster
18%
5 Soluble Feed
4%
6 Soluble feed and Palmbooster
25%
7 Soluble feed and Seaweed plus Iron
7%
8 Slow release and Seaweed plus Iron
21%
9 Palm Focus and Seaweed pkus Iron
No votes
10 Water
4%

Total votes: 28

The Codfather

Re: Palm feeding experiment

Post by The Codfather »

What meles you say that ?????? :wink: :lol:
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

It was a 1 in 3 chance and I just figured you for a slow release kinda guy Codmeister.

Am I right or do I owe you 5p? If I do then send me a stamped addressed envelope and I'll mail you a cheque straight away.

:lol:
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

I owe you 5p........I take it you picked the same ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nah, I went for Palm Focus + Palmbooster cos that's what I use.

Keep the 5p though, add it to the fund to buy Arlon a reasonable sized washing line.

:lol:
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

The Codfather wrote:OK, I have voted a guess to which I think will grow best from the choices given icon_thumright

Are we taking wagers on it ?
We are all guessing unless you've done the same experiment before. Be my guest to have a little wager.
I went for palm focus with palm booster.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

just watched the video and I do no 6 at a guess bith with chicken poo too.
AKA - Martin

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The ones with palmbooster will do best over time , they always do, although I am interested to see which fertiliser works best in conjunction.
My gut feeling says the soluble could come through as it contains the bacteria now proven to innoculate roots against fungus and increase mineral and water take up.
Its a shame that its only one of each plant as when I did a test with the Syagrus roms last year the results were slightly variable between plants , it would have been better with 3 or 4 of each, so that is likely to cast doubt on any results.
Great idea though !
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Nigel wrote:The ones with palmbooster will do best over time , they always do, although I am interested to see which fertiliser works best in conjunction.
My gut feeling says the soluble could come through as it contains the bacteria now proven to innoculate roots against fungus and increase mineral and water take up.
Its a shame that its only one of each plant as when I did a test with the Syagrus roms last year the results were slightly variable between plants , it would have been better with 3 or 4 of each, so that is likely to cast doubt on any results.
Great idea though
!

I know it would be better to use more plants but only have the 10. :wink:

Don't worry, whatever the results are, they will just give an indication as to whats the best feeding regime out of the 10 trialled not an absolute assurance of the best.
kata

Post by kata »

I feed with a German (Nigel) slow release..nowt else,

Three new spears opened up this year.. icon_cheers
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Ive voted to, but a pure guess. I bet I shall have forgotten what I voted when you tell us the results! I better wright it down. icon_thumright
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

What was the duration of the test Kris ? It would be great if you could keep it up until end summer 2013 with regular updates.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Nigel wrote:What was the duration of the test Kris ? It would be great if you could keep it up until end summer 2013 with regular updates.
I was going to attempt a repot next May/June. But will do regular updates showing leaf growth and when roots appear through drainage holes etc.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Ok Kris, thats a good timescale anyway , going to be a lot of hassle to keep it going.... make sure you dont use any watering cans that had palmbooster for the palmbooster free ones because its potent stuff.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Nigel wrote:Ok Kris, thats a good timescale anyway , going to be a lot of hassle to keep it going.... make sure you dont use any watering cans that had palmbooster for the palmbooster free ones because its potent stuff.
I have three watering cans so shouldn't be a problem.
Dim

Post by Dim »

of the choices available, my money is on soluble feed plus seaweed / iron (iassuming that you use the seaweed/iron every 2 weeks as a foliar feed during the growing season)

seaweed is good stuff .... but if you are foliar feeding, use spring water/ mineral water (39 pence gets you 2 litres of Clearview still springwater, or approx £1.20 gets you 5 litres of Asbeck spring water from Tesco)

some guys have reported probs using seaweed with hard tap water

(i'd also be inclined to add a handfull or two of vermicompost (worm humus) to the potting mixture if using the soluble)