Brugmansia and Stuff

Mr List

Re: Brugmansia and Stuff

Post by Mr List »

personal choice, do you want it to look bushy or have a clean trunk?
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

daz wrote:Mine is coming on a treat.Loads of mircal grow and loads of water.Just coming into flower :D

Well, mine looks nothing like that :( and I thought mine was doing well. No bushiness to speak of, just a stick, a fork a few leaves and flower buds. Why aint mine bushy :(

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
pdid

Post by pdid »

otorongo wrote:Another thing, my suaveolens is growing bushy, should I prune the side shoots and keep it to one main trunk?
Prune them, stick them in a pot of compost for a few weeks and you`ll have some more plants which you can sell/ give away/ keep as spare :wink:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Well, my Brugs are in flower now but over the Summer have had terrible leaf drop, it seems all the original leaves have come off but new ones have replaced them to some degree. Also noticed I've had some bud drop as well. The smaller buds not the larger ones. I've given it lots of feed and water, so I know it hasn't gone without, any ideas why it's dropping :? Not been particularly windy here either to cause damage.

Cheers

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

DiCasS wrote:Well, my Brugs are in flower now but over the Summer have had terrible leaf drop, it seems all the original leaves have come off but new ones have replaced them to some degree. Also noticed I've had some bud drop as well. The smaller buds not the larger ones. I've given it lots of feed and water, so I know it hasn't gone without, any ideas why it's dropping :?
Capsid bug attacks Brugs. I think it is early on, and not later. If so could that be the cause perhaps?
Steph

Post by Steph »

They tend to grow huge leaves and then when the flower hormones cut in, those leaves drop off, to be replaced by smaller ones.

Shame its been a dross year for flowers.
HarryandNess

Post by HarryandNess »

Just wondered if it's draining well enough Di. Ours likes lots of feed and water but as soon as we water it, it more or less comes out the bottom of the pot.

Ness
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Sorry guys if I made it sound as if it was on deaths door, it's not, it has grown well I think and the leaves are a good green colour, it's just the amount of leaves and buds it lost that concerned me - it still has plenty.

Kristen I did have problems earlier on with the leaves, yellow they were, but have a sneaking suspicion whilst I was away my Son perhaps wasn't watering as he should (no proof :lol: ) and just gave it a good dollop the day we returned home - that would sound right :roll: And I did see signs of the capsid bug, but not to a great extent. Those leaves have dropped now anyway.

Ness, don't think there is any problem with the drainage, the water runs out okay when it's got enough. Being new to Brugs I'm amazed how much water they need though.

Steph, sounds like the leaf drop is normal then, though am surprised at the amount it has/still is dropping. Still no idea why the buds have dropped though. There was another two that dropped yesterday when I came home from work. Overall quite a few buds have dropped now.

It still looks okay, and your probably wondering why I'm complaining, but did think at one point I would be left with bare stems :lol: Here it is, and a pic of a little variegated one which is a lot smaller plant but just in flower now. Thanks all for the comments,much appreciated.
Picture 2525 [640x480].jpg
Picture 2533 [640x480].jpg
Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
derrick

Post by derrick »

How do you get so many flowers on your Brugs i have a 8 feet plant but not great flowers this year .Do you wear eye protection if you cut them i find they spit at you from height
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Derrick all I've been doing is feed and water every day and that's all. I've seen some pics of members Brugs other years and they have been literally dripping with flowers, masses of them, I'd love to get them to grow like that. I've been using Miracle-Gro all through the season.

Not heard of the spitting thing :shock:

Di
Supporter of the N.A.S.
derrick

Post by derrick »

I think more feeding next year
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Here are a few of my Brugs at the moment
Attachments
001 (Medium).JPG
005 (Medium).JPG
003 (Medium).JPG
014 (Medium).JPG
028 (Medium).JPG
022 (Medium).JPG
018 (Medium).JPG
017 (Medium).JPG
015 (Medium).JPG
016 (Medium).JPG
derrick

Post by derrick »

Yours look full of flowers Adrian i like the pink Brug
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Come and get some cuttings if you want
Steph

Post by Steph »

They look brill, you have more flowers than me... envious...