7 foot Phoenix canariensis_CIDP - unprotected in SE London?

Nathan

Re: 7 foot Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP))

Post by Nathan »

Addictedtopalms26 wrote:They must get hardier as they get older, because that would make sense to why the ones in London and portsmouth survive?
They do get hardier with age, but only to a certain degree. In the UK -8C seems the limit for them, even bigger sized ones. The mature ones on Tresco turned brown after -7C in 1987, but were not killed...
grub

Re: 7 foot Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP) - unprotected in SE Lo

Post by grub »

I've previously put smallish ones through -9C without protection, they don't like it :lol: . I have had some success with fleecing though hence my trying again, I am a lazy gardener and I don't protect; In theory they all have 2 years at the most :twisted:
Tom2006

Re: 7 foot Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP) - unprotected in SE Lo

Post by Tom2006 »

It was only until Winter 09-10 that Hull had some pretty impressively large Phoenix canariensis_CIDP's around the city centre in people's gardens. The largest, which died winter 10-11, was approximately 10-12' tall. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Well in Locarno the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP had some frostdamage as well. They are at their limits in that area. Only on the Island I saw undamaged specimems. Like a big one on Isola Brisago. And there are good big ones at Lago di Garda at the warmest most sheltered parts north of Salo.

That Lago di Garda has the warmest climate of the North Italian lakes. A kind of miniture Mediterranean. Also the most northerly olivegroves are found in that area.

Alexander
Rob S

Re: 7 foot Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis_CIDP))

Post by Rob S »

otorongo wrote:This is not SE London, but there are 'public' CIDPs in Hackney growing out in the open (i.e. not against walls). Not sure if they get protection in the winter.

Nice Phoenix, can you tell me the location of these plants in Hackney as i wouldn't mind a look next time i'm in the area? Thanks
otorongo

Re: 7 foot Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix canariensis (Phoenix

Post by otorongo »

Rob S wrote:Nice Phoenix, can you tell me the location of these plants in Hackney as i wouldn't mind a look next time i'm in the area? Thanks
Hackney Town Hall, Mare Street, London E8 1EA

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=hackney ... 89,,0,1.15
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

They don't get protection in winter - I was there during that horrible 2010/11 winter and they had nothing keeping them warm.