Worried about my Palm trees being speared by a Vivax Bamboo!

greendragon

Worried about my Palm trees being speared by a Vivax Bamboo!

Post by greendragon »

After a post in the q and a section an important issue was raised I think worthy of going in the main section...

I have a Vivax bamboo with the furthest new culm only about 3ft away from a Trachycarpus. It is south of the Trachycarpus so It won't be taking away any sunlight. But after reading that someone had a Washingtonia Robusta speared by a bamboo runner I am worried that a runner could shoot right under my Trachycarpus and up through the centre, thus killing it. What are the chances of this happening?

There is also a Chamaerops on the other side of the bamboo again about 4ft away from the furthest reaching runner.

I would hate for my Trachycarpus to die a slow death only to later find that a bamboo runner lodged istelf up into the trunk!

What should I do? my mind is in turmoil. icon_aaargh
Conifers

Re: Worried about my Palm trees being speared by a Vivax Bam

Post by Conifers »

Don't think that would happen - the bamboo spear would grow to one side of the palm and come up next to it, not through the middle of the trunk.
pdid

Post by pdid »

greendragon wrote:It is south of the Trachycarpus so It won't be taking away any sunlight.
If it`s South of the Trachycarpus it will be taking sunlight.
jacko

Post by jacko »

not sure but ive seen many pictures of palms growing alongside and amongst bamboos.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

how would the runner get through the root mass of the Trachycarpus, surely it would take the path of least resistance ?
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

Sorry I mean it's NORTH of the TF, the sun shines onto the trachycarpus and the bamboo is behind it.