Bamboo for claysoil

kracker

Bamboo for claysoil

Post by kracker »

Im looking to buy some boo's in the next few days the spot for the location is poor and have lost a few plants so after reading boo's are or can be water tolerant the question is what varieties ....answers on a post card please .will icon_salut
grub

Re: Bamboo for claysoil

Post by grub »

All of my Boos are on heavy clay Will icon_thumright
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

As long as you improve the soil with manure and some grit if very heavy then they should romp away with all the nutrients and water that clay soil provides.
jacko

Post by jacko »

yes as kris says.try and improve the spot with drainage material and plenty of well rotted manure and mulches.they do like plenty of water but dont like to be drowned,moist is just right.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

my p. aurea is in clay with only a bit of peat soil improver dug in and it has romped away this year no problem
kracker

Post by kracker »

Thanks for the replys guys i have been to a nursery today and found a bamboo stuck in the back feeling sorry for itself and needed some TLC so i asked how much he wanted a 2 .5 meter tall timber boo he wanted £15 thoght that was a bargain so i have cut the root ball in half and it is currently in soak with feed ... icon_salut
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

you can use clay soil to help keep bamboo where you want it also,

dig out the bit you want it to stay in and stamp down the clay under it.
when you fill the hole with a loose soil that bamboos like they will tend to stay in the right place.
eddie

Post by eddie »

I noticed that my pseudosasa tends to stay in it's place in clay, and sends out runners in less heavy soil.

So maybe a clay soil is actually better for bamboo in smaller gardens, less need to put in rootcontrol barriers
Washingtonia Trachycarpus Cordyline? Bamboos Olive tree? Bananas
kracker

Post by kracker »

So for a root control barrier how deep could we say is deep enough today in tescos they had heavy duty laundry bins the type with handles on about 20 inches deep £2.97 each icon_thumleft but idealy im sure a rubbish bin would be more suitable or a may just pot up until spring next year icon_sunny icon_sunny icon_sunny