Trachycarpus nainital hardiness

Adam r

Trachycarpus nainital hardiness

Post by Adam r »

I have 2 small nainital in pots, not sure how old they are but the have split leaves but are only about 6 inches tall. Are they hardy enough to leave out over winter?

Adam
The Codfather

Re: Trachycarpus nainital hardiness

Post by The Codfather »

I would say nope.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I would say that if you plunge the pot and have them somewhere with an overhead canopy so they stay reasonably dry then yes, seedlings/babies tend to be slightly hardier than young plants.

I've planted 2 young (maybe 3-4 years) plants out this year and I fully expect them to come through winter unprotected.

Even if they don't survive it's a good experiment and if they do they'll be tough as old boots.

;)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

If they are potted just put them into a sheltered spot, a south facing brick wall would be ideal. You would need some very cold prolonged temperatures to kill them, or cold and wet.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

I have one of those cheap plastic greenhouses which I was going to put over my Phoenix canariensis_CIDP when the over winter. Would the 2 nainital be okay if I put then inside the grow house with the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP?
Not sure if it will keep the Phoenix canariensis_CIDP alive but it must be better than doing nothing at all.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yes they should be fine, just remember to open it up once any sub zero temperatures have passed. IF the cold is prolonged you will probably need to through over a thick duvet or even move the pots inside to prevent them freezing solid. Hopefully that wont be required though. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

No idea about Sunderland but down here then no problem, best planted in the ground and left to get on with it.
I have hundreds of self sown naini's that make it, shame as it would save me work if they were cut back.
Adam r

Post by Adam r »

They will definately be going in the ground at some point but I wanted them a bit bigger before I choose their final spot where I think they will look best.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Adrian wrote:No idea about Sunderland but down here then no problem, best planted in the ground and left to get on with it.
I have hundreds of self sown naini's that make it, shame as it would save me work if they were cut back.
I will take some off your hands...... :D
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Come down here and you can dig as many as you want, to be honest I struggle to get to a post office so I dont offer to post anything, sorry.
jezza

Post by jezza »

Adrian wrote:Come down here and you can dig as many as you want, to be honest I struggle to get to a post office so I dont offer to post anything, sorry.
Maybe someday i may take you up on that offer 8)
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

get the kettle on I have nothing else on for 12 hours today :lol:
AKA - Martin

Adrian

Post by Adrian »

The garden is always open to visit