AN EXOTIC GARDEN IN SOUTHAMPTON,UK.

Kerinsian

Re: AN EXOTIC GARDEN IN SOUTHAMPTON,UK.

Post by Kerinsian »

It's truly beautiful bill, a paradise in fact. Thanks so much for posting this as yours is one garden I've been especially looking forward to seeing :D
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Beautiful Bill. Thanks for making this video, the palms you grow are pretty amazing and probably one of the most established palm gardens shared on this site. I love it! icon_salut
Troppoz

Post by Troppoz »

Wow Bill, thats just incredible! Ive never seen trachys that large even here in Australia! And such dense plantings I love how you have to push your way through the foliage to find the hidden rooms, thats a garden that kids could spend hours playing in icon_thumleft
GaryW

Post by GaryW »

Excellent !! Thanks for posting icon_salut
kata

Post by kata »

I wanted to comment last night but the forum decided otherwise..kept spinning a search so I left.

Awesome garden Bill...well done!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

:shock: Surely that garden is located thousand's of miles away, I love the opening shots of your white house surrounded by tall palms, never would believe thats possible in the Uk. Hats off to you Bill, you know your stuff icon_salut
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

Trudytropics wrote::shock: Surely that garden is located thousand's of miles away,
300, but it might as well be thousands! :lol:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Conifers wrote:
Trudytropics wrote::shock: Surely that garden is located thousand's of miles away,
300, but it might as well be thousands! :lol:
:lol: Got that right, we could never hope to achieve what Bill has, nice to look and fantasise though.
Axel

Post by Axel »

Hi Bill,

wonderful shots of your trachies. Some of them look very similar to the ones i have seen in the region of Ticino. Trachies get better with age.

I noticed you have a planted syagrus. How has it done for you this summer? Did it grow some new fronds?

thanks,
Axel
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

What are you gonna do when the Jub has a 15-20ft diameter crown spread? :)

Im guilty aswell, I planted a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in my 15ft wide garden lol.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

billdango wrote:
Mr List wrote:have you got an unedited version?

i can't watch those anti-shake youtube videos, the black bars jumping around are far too distracting.
I don't like them much either but it looks even worse on the unedited version.

Be patient and I will do a better version with commentary soon.

This was my first attempt and at my age of 67 with shaky hands it wasn't easy to make?

I will get a younger friend of mine to make a better one next time.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
i don't find a problem at all with regular videos that shake just as long as the black bars stay in the same place icon_thumleft icon_thumright
billdango

Post by billdango »

Axel wrote:Hi Bill,

wonderful shots of your trachies. Some of them look very similar to the ones i have seen in the region of Ticino. Trachies get better with age.

I noticed you have a planted syagrus. How has it done for you this summer? Did it grow some new fronds?

thanks,
Axel
Hi Axel,

The Syagrus has been really slow this year because of the cold and wet summer we have had in southern England.

It has only so far pushed out 1 decent frond but lost 2 since last April.

If the summers are going to be like this every year I may have to give up on it and plant something that grows faster?One leaf a year is just no good and will not replace losses.

It is possible that our summers are to cold and short for this species but I am going to give it a go anyway.

rgds billdango icon_thumleft
billdango

Post by billdango »

greendragon wrote:What are you gonna do when the Jub has a 15-20ft diameter crown spread? :)

Im guilty aswell, I planted a Phoenix canariensis_Phoenix canariensis_CIDP in my 15ft wide garden lol.
At 67 I don't think I will be around to worry about that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Bill Ive grown Syagrus roms here for a few years now and one leaf is the best youll ever get out of them, its all about keeping good leaves on it through winter, if they get damaged the palm looks crappe for years.
I did winter one for two years outside, potted and pulled up to the house with leaves tied up and a rope light inside a plastic tent, got it through ok but with some damage and then you have a useless looking palm.
You might do better being in the city so worth a shot but for me on the outskirts its either inside for winter or annual bedding. Luckily I have a big conservatory so I can keep them a few years before they outgrow the wintering quarters.
S. Santa Catarina is said to grow at lower temps but IMO theres no difference at all.
Worth all the effort I put into them because nothing palm wise shouts exotic more than a good Syagrus in this country.
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

wow Bill,its awesome icon_thumright
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure