Trachycarpus separation.

jungle jas

Trachycarpus separation.

Post by jungle jas »

Hi all I have the opportunity to buy a twin trunk Trachycarpus, obviously two planted together. Any one tried to separate Trachys? If so with what success? Any advice please as I don't wish to kill them. Should I leave them together? Also I read when moving palms you only need to take 300mm of soil and roots around the trunk! icon_study Doesn't seem a lot to me I have always taken more! What are your thoughts. icon_thumright
Tom2006

Re: Trachycarpus separation.

Post by Tom2006 »

Personally I would leave well alone as its more than likely that the two plants are very well grown together, certainly at least by roots. You could risk killing or badly damaging the roots/plants. But no harm in investigating by lifting out of its pot and looking first?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dim

Post by Dim »

I planted 6 fortunei in a few in a garden 3 years ago .... 4 of them have 3 trunks ....

looking good so far, and the largest ones are nearly 6 feet tall, but there will come a time when I will need to cut the smaller ones off at ground level

when I bought them, I was advised not to try and seperate them
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Someone on here has a twin trunked Trachycarpus, it looks brilliant, trunks are quite tall and trees are very healthy looking, unforunately can't remember who it is icon_scratch :? , they have posted pictures on here, arrrrgggh cannot remember. Anyway I'd leave them well alone, you might risk losing one or both if you separate.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

OK, thanks. That was my thoughts, nice to know we are all singing from the same hymn sheet. Ill err on the side of caution then. icon_thumright
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Dim wrote:I planted 6 fortunei in a few in a garden 3 years ago .... 4 of them have 3 trunks ....

looking good so far, and the largest ones are nearly 6 feet tall, but there will come a time when I will need to cut the smaller ones off at ground level
Why? Don't you like the clump effect then Dim.
Dim

Post by Dim »

jungle jas wrote:
Dim wrote:I planted 6 fortunei in a few in a garden 3 years ago .... 4 of them have 3 trunks ....

Why? Don't you like the clump effect then Dim.
the problem is that the 4 are planted on the pavement in front of the the front wall ... (there are 4 columns and each 'clump of trachys is in front of a column)

the owner says that it looks 'odd' with multi-trunked palms and would prefer just one palm in front of each column

so far, I have talked him out of removing the smaller palms and told him to wait a while

I am working there on thursday again and will post a pic
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Trudytropics wrote:Someone on here has a twin trunked Trachycarpus, it looks brilliant, trunks are quite tall and trees are very healthy looking, unforunately can't remember who it is icon_scratch :? , they have posted pictures on here, arrrrgggh cannot remember. Anyway I'd leave them well alone, you might risk losing one or both if you separate.
I'll give you a clue :wink: