T.Rex flower

Mr List

Re: T.Rex flower

Post by Mr List »

is the date right in that picture?

i wonder if not feeding my basjoo (right next to trex) its high doses of nitorgen this year has let the trex flower.

stopping growing in august each year is a bit crappe for the trex, how could i remove the flowers to get it back in growth?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

yes the date is correct, they are very late in the season flowerers, ok here but Ive heard of more Northern growers cutting the flower stalks off before the cold hits as it can be cause rot .
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

does this still look like it is starting to flower or just branching out?

GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

009.JPG
I planted this fifteen years ago at a business near the Thames and this was the flowering last November
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

10a.JPG
With this view, you can see how it spreads and establishes itself despite other planting. I planted just one in the left hand corner and the entire bed has a colony of mature plants, most of them flowering.
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Does this always flower so late in the season or perhaps immature tips survive the winter to send out bloom early the following year?
Last edited by GREVILLE on Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

that one you planted isnt a 'rex' though it is just the normal species.

does it ever get seed?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I still think yours will flower. The flowering process then leads to the stem trying to branch.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

GREVILLE wrote:
I planted this fifteen years ago at a business near the Thames and this was the flowering last November
That is the standard Tetrapanax papyrifer, as TRex hasn't been around that long, and this has the rounder, smaller leaves.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by GREVILLE »

Mr List wrote:that one you planted isnt a 'rex' though it is just the normal species.

does it ever get seed?
I'm pretty sure it sets seed. The site is extremely sheltered and when I photographed the garden last November there were late bees and flies buzzing round the flowers. The seed probably doesn't ripen and become viable till the following year.

As Dave said, I only knew of T. papyrifera as the lone plant in the family fifteen years ago. T. rex and Steriol Giant are recent introductions. I assume the flowers are the same on these as the papyrifera, which is why I posted the pics.

I remember seeing a huge one smothered in bloom twenty years ago around the Christmas period somewhere in West London and didn't know the plant then.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

you should get some rex in where you have the plain species growing.

they are much less hardy than rex and if you could get regular seed from rex it would open lots of possibilities for new and interesting forms.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Mr List wrote:you should get some rex in where you have the plain species growing.

they are much less hardy than rex and if you could get regular seed from rex it would open lots of possibilities for new and interesting forms.
But you'd need a few acres to grow them to the size to tell :lol:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

well you can see a clear difference in leaf shape between mine and your monster straight away but for size or habit ,yes you would need some serious acre-age
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Another update on mine. The flower side of the growth has moved slowly, but so slowly I very much doubt it will fully flower before the frosts. The leaf growth side of the split is growing faster and as can be seen in the pic, new leaves are expanding.

It is becoming a bit of a problem now, as the size of it is shading out just about all of my Lunar Module, which relies on the sun for most of it's daytime warmth.

I always seem to end up with the biggest plants in the wrong place :roll:
Attachments
2012-09-12-11-08-06 TRex flower head.jpg
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright