Melianthus Major over wintering

tropicalwon

Melianthus Major over wintering

Post by tropicalwon »

I have a small potted melianthus major, this winter I'll move it to the shelter of my house and cover with fleece, not a problem. Next Spring I hope to plant in permanent position, the following winter it should be a lot larger.what I want to know is how you would protect it over the cold months when planted out? I have an idea but would like to know yours.

It has put on a few more leaves since photo was taken.
Attachments
back garden 1 056.jpg
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Melianthus Major over wintering

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I did a video on this. Basically mulch with straw and soil.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

You haven't told us what sort of temperatures you get were you are in Kent. icon_thumright
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I did a video on this. Basically mulch with straw and soil.
icon_scratch I missed that one....Thanks
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

jungle jas wrote:You haven't told us what sort of temperatures you get were you are in Kent. icon_thumright
My back garden, facing south east (approx.) hasn't really dropped below -7 in the 25ish years I've lived here....As I can remember!
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

They are leaf hardy down to about minus 2 and about old wood hardy to about minus 5. Mulching protects for temps lower than this.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:They are leaf hardy down to about minus 2 and about old wood hardy to about minus 5. Mulching protects for temps lower than this.
Thanks Kris for the vid + all the info icon_thumleft icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
simon

Post by simon »

I have never given mine any protection and it always comes back well from below ground. Worst winter mins have been about -10 to -12C but it did have a couple of mild winters when first planted, so had a good chance to settle in. I would say in your location you don't need to be over cautious with it but would be a good idea to give some protection in the first winter while establishing.

I would be more concerned about ensuring the roots don't freeze in the pot this winter.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

simon wrote:I have never given mine any protection and it always comes back well from below ground. Worst winter mins have been about -10 to -12C but it did have a couple of mild winters when first planted, so had a good chance to settle in. I would say in your location you don't need to be over cautious with it but would be a good idea to give some protection in the first winter while establishing.

I would be more concerned about ensuring the roots don't freeze in the pot this winter.
Thanks icon_thumleft
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Same as Simon, never protected one.
They need cutting right back each year or they get really leggy so not worth protecting anything above ground.
Mulch if worried but I done bother here.