Musa sikimensis 'Red Tiger'

hedychium

Musa sikimensis 'Red Tiger'

Post by hedychium »

Hi Room

Looking for information to overwinter Musa sikimensis 'Red Tiger' only bought this year as a young plant but has put on good size and is over eight tall now with several pups , just looking for adive on how to overwinter it , I am based in North London ,

Kind Regards

John
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Musa sikimensis 'Red Tiger'

Post by Dave Brown »

Hi John,

Sikkimensis does not keep it's stems here, unlike basjoo, so my Red Tiger is potted and very slow. I have heard other say that sikkies have not liked the cool spring followed by the wet sunless early/mid summer this year.

It sounds like your has done well in your location. Mine was planted out, but I got the jitters in December 2008 and dug it up and it was kept just frost free. Quite a few 'Red Tiger' were lost that winter, so I would say it is a bit of a gamble planted out. You may be ok if your winter lows are on the mild side, and if the site gets winter sun to stop freezes. :wink:

Perhaps others have a different story.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Mr List »

tried in the ground, they are root hardy but not stem hardy even protected.

this year i have them all in big pots to overwinter in the cellar
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

I think they're quite variable in hardiness. Some say they're like basjoo, but the one I had completely died a few winters ago.

The next time I get one hopefully it will pup, so I can pot up the offsets and keep in the conservatory as an insurance policy. I think these plants are worth the extra effort as they're so attractive.

Look at how stunning the marking on the leaves are in this close up photo (bottom centre). Just backlit by the evening sun, no photoshop. The colour temperature of the light at the time made the greens look orange. Required careful composition and focusing as to get it symmetrical the leaf kept on swaying in the breeze.
plants-1.jpg
jezza

Post by jezza »

I planted mine in the ground this year and it grew so slowly that i've decided to sell it and stick to basjoos and ensetes which have proved much faster. It has only grown 5 leaves this year compared to a dozen last year left in a pot.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Best performing banana here, knocks spots off basjoos
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Adrian wrote:Best performing banana here, knocks spots off basjoos
but that is not Red Tiger is it Ade? There are about 10 people who say sikki grows better than basjoo, but when we analysed the location there was no other reason than these 10 did well, while many more died back to ground level or died completely in average winters. That is why I don't grow sikki in the ground.... rather expensive annuals :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by hedychium »

Hi Room

Thank you to everyone offering advice on overwintering Musa sikimensis 'Red Tiger I think I am going to bite the bullet and try and overwinter it outside.

My Tetrapenax comes through every year with several Hedychiums and cannas , so fingers crossed it might make it .

Still looking for that elusive Musa 'Siam Ruby' can anyone help?

Have sourced Musa 'Siam Ruby' in Germany called [email protected] have a huge range of Musa on their site , ordered Musa Dwarf Red from them expecting it to arrive this week , will let you know , has anyone bought from this site?

John
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dave Brown wrote:
Adrian wrote:Best performing banana here, knocks spots off basjoos
but that is not Red Tiger is it Ade? There are about 10 people who say sikki grows better than basjoo, but when we analysed the location there was no other reason than these 10 did well, while many more died back to ground level or died completely in average winters. That is why I don't grow sikki in the ground.... rather expensive annuals :ahhh!:
Yes Red Tiger Dave although theres very little difference between red tiger and the standard sikkimensis, the red tiger has better markings when young but just as sikki it loses its colour with age and size.
Hardly expensive annuals as they pup so freely.
Im trying some of last years pups down the end of the garden so we'll see what difference the shelter of the house has to their survival.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Adrian wrote: Hardly expensive annuals as they pup so freely.
Im trying some of last years pups down the end of the garden so we'll see what difference the shelter of the house has to their survival.
The whole thing died, nothing left to pup after 2009/10. Which is why none are planted out now.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by flounder »

I should have left mine planted, seeing as it died in the greenhouse :roll:
simon

Post by simon »

I have been protecting mine with ever increasing amounts of fleece (can't be bothered messing about with straw) and it has always proved root hardy but last winter it finally mantained some stem, probaly due to a slightly milder winter and a few more layers of fleece. My advice would be to treat it like you would a basjoo and it should be fine in London.
hedychium

Post by hedychium »

tHANKS AGAIN
FOR ALL THE INFORMATION REGARDING MUSA SIKIMENSIS RED TIGER THINK I WILL OVERWINTER IT USING WIRE TO HOLD THE STRAW IN THEN WRAP WITH HOR FLEEE AND WRAP IT AGAIN , HOPE THAT WORKS

REGARDS
JOHN
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

well being in london you should stand a chance icon_thumleft