Tropicalwon In Season, in back garden!!??

tropicalwon

Tropicalwon In Season, in back garden!!??

Post by tropicalwon »

Over the last few months, I've started to plant more tropical plants, albeit some not so tropical, since the last time I planted approximately five years ago. These new plants include: Tetrapanax, Melianthus Major, Phygelius sunshine. Cannas and Echium (from seed). I have other seedlings growing on Kitchen window sill: Naranjilla & Acanthus mollis, with a nicely but small growing Ensete maurellii in the spare bedroom accompanied by a couple of Colocasia esculenta ( see how they go). These will all be planted out next year if they survive! in the spaces you can see or in pots

I have ricinus carmencita red & pink, Thunbergia Alata, Amaranthus Crimson, Arctotis & other seeds to be sown in spring for bedding and to provide more colour.

Plants yet to purchase in the next six months are a few Heucheras, Brunnera macrophylla, Hedychiums, alocasias & the list grows :wink:

few pics of back garden before the season does it's worst..........
Attachments
My Garden 13-10-12 003.jpg
My Garden 13-10-12 004.jpg
My Garden 13-10-12 008.jpg
My Garden 13-10-12 011.jpg
My Garden 13-10-12 012.jpg
My Garden 13-10-12 031.jpg
My Garden 13-10-12 025.jpg
View from Kitchen sink window
View from Kitchen sink window
My Garden 13-10-12 051.jpg
My Garden 13-10-12 045.jpg
flounder

Re: Tropicalwon In Season, in back garden!!??

Post by flounder »

Coming along nicely. Only one thing I must comment on, turn that chair round a bit! :lol: icon_thumleft
Jo A P

Post by Jo A P »

Beautiful! Love the phormiums and there doesn't seem to be a weed or stone out of place. I like the different seating areas as well. Definitely one of my favourite gardens!
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Thats a lovely mature garden you have Gray :D , its nice to see some nanas that are not ripped to shreds. The view from your kitchen window is super, must help when washing up to have such an inspiring view :lol:
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Trudytropics wrote:Thats a lovely mature garden you have Gray :D , its nice to see some nanas that are not ripped to shreds. :
Exactly, how do you have unshredded nanas.... particularly only living a couple of miles from my shredded, smashed and battered nanas :ahhh!: icon_scratch :lol:

Also you have a some unusual plants in your collection. What is the plant in pic 3... a standard small tree with like large Rhododendron leaves ?
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by tropicalwon »

Trudytropics wrote:Thats a lovely mature garden you have Gray :D , its nice to see some nanas that are not ripped to shreds. The view from your kitchen window is super, must help when washing up to have such an inspiring view :lol:
Thanks Trudy.
The nanas have a few splits but with the surrounding large shrubs & Gable end of next door house protects the garden quite well from strong winds.

Kitchen window view is .............Washing up icon_scratch ..........I have to ask my Wife to answer that :?: :lol:
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

you have a some unusual plants in your collection. What is the plant in pic 3... a standard small tree with like large Rhododendron leaves ?
Dave, yep icon_thumleft that is a Rhododendron macabeanum-large shrub/tree type, but relatively slow growing so don't really have to worry about that! It has large creamy white flowers with purple markings on the inside in Spring. The leaves grow to about 30cm in length, the under sides are woolly & grey/beige in colour. Looks stunning in spring/early summer when the leaves are darker and stand more vertical.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

flounder wrote:Coming along nicely. Only one thing I must comment on, turn that chair round a bit! :lol: icon_thumleft
icon_thumright
Jo A P wrote:Beautiful! Love the phormiums and there doesn't seem to be a weed or stone out of place. I like the different seating areas as well. Definitely one of my favourite gardens!
Thanks icon_thumleft
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Looks really, really nice. icon_thumleft
redsquirrel

Post by redsquirrel »

looks great icon_thumleft
i could live with tetrapanax running around but acanthus mollis is a thug i wouldnt plant again.still popping up in the front garden 3 years after digging it out.was only in for 3/4 of a season too
mars ROVER broken down. headgasket faillure
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Dave Brown wrote:
Trudytropics wrote:Thats a lovely mature garden you have Gray :D , its nice to see some nanas that are not ripped to shreds. :
Exactly, how do you have unshredded nanas.... particularly only living a couple of miles from my shredded, smashed and battered nanas :ahhh!: icon_scratch :lol:
Ah thats easy Dave, I do my Bananas differently now, you either have great big tall plants that get ripped to shreds and (IMO) look terrible or you cut the trunks down each spring and grow good looking plants at a lower level.
Also (and I know you dont agree with this ) grow sikki's rather than basjoos as they dont shred anywhere near as bad, kept smaller the fear of snapping trunks is also gone.
I winter Bananas now with around 4 foot trunks, they make good sized plants and they are so much easier to protect if doing so.
Last edited by Adrian on Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Looks really, really nice. icon_thumleft
Thanks Kris
redsquirrel wrote:looks great icon_thumleft
i could live with tetrapanax running around but acanthus mollis is a thug i wouldnt plant again.still popping up in the front garden 3 years after digging it out.was only in for 3/4 of a season too
Thanks Red--for the info on acanthus mollis, this most probably with a few echiums be planted at the back of garden (not shown in pics) to under plant apple, kiwi areas where they can do as they please.....but give a bit of flowering height
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I agree with the Acanthus, it was a plant I put in when I first started the exotic gardening style and I soon tired of it but it took years to get rid of.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

nice garden :D
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Mr List wrote:nice garden :D
Thanks Ken icon_thumleft