How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Kristen

How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Post by Kristen »

I bought a Cyathea Medullaris in the 50% off sale at Amulree.

Reading up it seems unlikely that it will survive outside; I have ample room in the unheated conservatory over winter - even at -16C last Winter the conservatory only just hit 0C

If it is going to be in a pot how big a pot do I need? Its currently in a 10L pot (but looks like its been there a while, so probably ready for potting on).

Can I just plunge the pot outside for the Summer? (rather than plant & dig up)

What sort of mix for the compost? I have read "plenty of humus" - can I incorporate some well rotted manure with multi-purpose, and rough bark for drainage, or am I thinking this wrongly?

Many thanks.
GREVILLE

Re: How to grow Cyathea Medullaris

Post by GREVILLE »

I can't see a problem with it being kept containerized as long as its watering needs can be met.

Mine went short on water while I was away for over a month and I lost it. (My only other casualty was also a fern - Blechnum gibbum.)
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I got one from the last Amulree sale the other month. I have potted it in a deep 25-30 pot. I used a good multipurpose compost mixed with some handfuls of bark chip, ericaceous compost and some perlite. I water it virtually every day and its putting out some fronds now. I will be putting it in my shed when mild frosts are forecast and if it turns very cold my heated polyhouse will come out and it will go in there.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

How big are the fronds on yours? My one from Mulu must have 4-5ft long fronds lol : )

put it into a 40litre pot of JI3 with perlite
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Mine must easily be 4'!! icon_thumleft icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Thought I had a photo of mine ... turns out not (yet). I reckon its 4' - 5' - which is what attracted me to it. There were some skinny trunk'd tree ferns "just in" when I was there - £90-a-foot ... something special, although not sure quite what :)
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Kristen wrote:Thought I had a photo of mine ... turns out not (yet). I reckon its 4' - 5' - which is what attracted me to it. There were some skinny trunk'd tree ferns "just in" when I was there - £90-a-foot ... something special, although not sure quite what :)
I am on their mailing list.They sent out an email to say they were getting some cyathea dealbata(silver back to the fronds) in.Thats what i would call special :D
brendan

Post by brendan »

Kristen wrote:I bought a Cyathea Medullaris in the 50% off sale at Amulree.

Reading up it seems unlikely that it will survive outside; I have ample room in the unheated conservatory over winter - even at -16C last Winter the conservatory only just hit 0C

If it is going to be in a pot how big a pot do I need? Its currently in a 10L pot (but looks like its been there a while, so probably ready for potting on).

Can I just plunge the pot outside for the Summer? (rather than plant & dig up)

What sort of mix for the compost? I have read "plenty of humus" - can I incorporate some well rotted manure with multi-purpose, and rough bark for drainage, or am I thinking this wrongly?

Many thanks.
Some interesting stuff here http://www.growingontheedge.net/viewtop ... f=2&t=7266
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Half Hardy wrote:I am on their mailing list.They sent out an email to say they were getting some cyathea dealbata(silver back to the fronds) in.Thats what i would call special :D
There is some chatter about the import of Cyathea medullaris, dealbata and cunninghamii here:
http://www.growingontheedge.net/viewtop ... f=2&t=7215