Back in the freezer every week !

Half Hardy

Re: Back in the freezer this week

Post by Half Hardy »

The bbc forecast for my area(plymouth) is giving a max of 9 for most of tonight but min of my -1 for next monday night.The weathers going backwards :ahhh!:
Panama Pete

Re: Has Someone Broken The Weather

Post by Panama Pete »

Just type HAARP weather into google and you know why it has changed icon_scratch
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

I'm going to be moving my few Tree ferns I had put outside, BACK into the polyhouse. Not sure whether or not to wrap my Trachies as I don't think we will get really low temps icon_scratch
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: 3 Questions for the weather experts...

Post by Dave Brown »

cordyman wrote: Life is more enjoyable as an optimist though icon_thumleft The weather is miserable at the moment yes, but the optimist looks forward to better times. If they don't prevail its no biggy, but the prior 3 months were spent in a good positive mood looking ahead as opposed to always dwelling on the negatives. My ex was very pessimistic and its not a good trait to carry throughout your life, especially as you get older icon_thumleft
You've claimed that your temps have been above average all through winter, and constantly talk of how good it is in the sun. It's not quite so easy to see the optomists view if your coming to the end of the 4th winter month below average temps, and 5 months of drastically below average sunshine hours. :roll:

However, if this set up was July I'd be looking at sunny 32C
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Tom2006 wrote:I'm going to be moving my few Tree ferns I had put outside, BACK into the polyhouse. Not sure whether or not to wrap my Trachies as I don't think we will get really low temps icon_scratch
I was just reading Paul Blight's synoptic discussion on UKWW and he said that it is going to be very cold next week, but not Trachycarpus-killing temperatures during the day.

See http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/i ... old-spell/
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Adam D wrote:
Tom2006 wrote:I'm going to be moving my few Tree ferns I had put outside, BACK into the polyhouse. Not sure whether or not to wrap my Trachies as I don't think we will get really low temps icon_scratch
I was just reading Paul Blight's synoptic discussion on UKWW and he said that it is going to be very cold next week, but not Trachycarpus-killing temperatures during the day.

See http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/forum/i ... old-spell/
Thanks for that Adam. It wont let me get through to the link, but your advice is good for me. icon_thumleft
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Ah, you may well have to be a member of UKWW to read Paul's threads.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Dave Brown wrote:
cordyman wrote: Life is more enjoyable as an optimist though icon_thumleft The weather is miserable at the moment yes, but the optimist looks forward to better times. If they don't prevail its no biggy, but the prior 3 months were spent in a good positive mood looking ahead as opposed to always dwelling on the negatives. My ex was very pessimistic and its not a good trait to carry throughout your life, especially as you get older icon_thumleft
You've claimed that your temps have been above average all through winter, and constantly talk of how good it is in the sun. It's not quite so easy to see the optomists view if your coming to the end of the 4th winter month below average temps, and 5 months of drastically below average sunshine hours. :roll:

I have never understood this being an optimist or pessimist thing. Life impacts on you, and although I accept some of us are naturally more positive, or negative, ultimately if you get dealt a cr&p hand, in whatever area that impacts you, it doesn't matter how positive you try to be. That said, despite the horrific March weather, and winter in general, I am looking forward to getting out into the garden and getting some jobs done. I'm just sad that I feel like we are missing out on valuable time in our gardens. If have also decided not to replace any plants that I lose this winter like for like. I will just use the large bedding like dahlias, cannas and my musa which I will be planting out.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Adam D wrote:Ah, you may well have to be a member of UKWW to read Paul's threads.
Yes, probably the case as I'm not a member. Have you still got snow up your way mate?
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Tom2006 wrote:
Adam D wrote:Ah, you may well have to be a member of UKWW to read Paul's threads.
Yes, probably the case as I'm not a member. Have you still got snow up your way mate?
Yes, there is still a few inches of it around here.

I work in Edinburgh during the day and my home altitude is c. 440ft and the freezing level has been c. 300ft for the last couple of days, so I go through the snow line on my way to an back home from work. It's like living in the Alps!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I'm expecting -8 with wind chill over the next 24hr.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Dave Brown wrote:

I'll probably turn into a pessimist Dave if we have another monsoon summer here like last year. 2 summers in a row will break me :cry: :lol:

Lets hope we get this type of setup in July!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Tom2006 wrote:
Dave Brown wrote:

I have never understood this being an optimist or pessimist thing. Life impacts on you, and although I accept some of us are naturally more positive, or negative, ultimately if you get dealt a cr&p hand, in whatever area that impacts you, it doesn't matter how positive you try to be. That said, despite the horrific March weather, and winter in general, I am looking forward to getting out into the garden and getting some jobs done. I'm just sad that I feel like we are missing out on valuable time in our gardens. If have also decided not to replace any plants that I lose this winter like for like. I will just use the large bedding like dahlias, cannas and my musa which I will be planting out.

When did you start protecting stuff Tom, October, November or December? Could get these 20 days of lost Spring back with a decent mild autumn.
fern Rob

Re: Hello spring?

Post by fern Rob »

Will winter end, at the moment the weather feels worst than winter.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

BBC have changed the heavy snow to light now, and friday and saturday from snow to dark cloud. Don't trust the beeb though :?