Freebird

New Cycas Revoluta

Post by Freebird »

Just won this one on ebay, almost had it at £32 :D :D :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WONDERFUL-SAG ... 5d3c1974ca
Half Hardy

Re: New Cycas Revoluta

Post by Half Hardy »

Result icon_thumleft I have had one in a pot for about 5 yrs and it is still tiny compared to yours(cycas,that is :lol: ) .I can't even begin to guess how long it would take to form a trunk like that.There's a very similar size one on ebay at buy now for £110 which is still a fair price,beers on you tonight :D
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Just been looking at your photobucket page.Wow icon_salut icon_salut icon_salut
Plenty of awesome specimen plants.Your new sago is going to look right at home.Love the banana grove icon_thumleft
Freebird

Post by Freebird »

Thanks for your nice comments.......but........ unfortunatly that was taken just before the winter of 2010/11 & it decimated alot of them, in the front garden I lost my Jubaea chilensis :( , Butia Capitata :( , purple :( & normal cordy :( , while in the back garden I lost the 2 big cordys :( :( & my original tree fern :( .
Right i'm now off for a little cry.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

I hope you are going to give some of the plants you lost another try as I agree your garden looked fantastic and you obviously have not let the bad winters we have had recently put you off much. I plan on planting out one of my jubaeas and one of my butias in the near future and I have even got a couple of replacements ready if my ideas for protecting them are not enough.
Freebird

Post by Freebird »

JBALLY wrote:I hope you are going to give some of the plants you lost another try as I agree your garden looked fantastic and you obviously have not let the bad winters we have had recently put you off much. I plan on planting out one of my jubaeas and one of my butias in the near future and I have even got a couple of replacements ready if my ideas for protecting them are not enough.
Yes all have been replaced since but with smaller ones due to prices - if you see the size of my jelly in picture 2 it was huge & I only paid £20 for it a few years earlier (when Simon first bought Amrulee Exotics I bought several palms off him that were in need of tlc for a while before planting out) And even the wine palm was getting quite big as seen in the same picture.

I must get round to updating my photobook soon.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

Nice sized Cycas for that price, you don,t often see them that size, and a smaller one would take many years to get to that in our climate. 8)
Freebird

Post by Freebird »

Nigel Fear wrote:Nice sized Cycas for that price, you don,t often see them that size, and a smaller one would take many years to get to that in our climate. 8)
About 12 years ago I bought my 1st one from a garden centre on the Brixham Rd in Paigton while on holiday, (at the same time I bought my original Musa Basjoo) it's about the same size as this one so i'll have a matching pair :D
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Nice icon_thumleft a good size cycad at a good price Freebird, just going to look at your garden ..
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

I had that one in my watch list, i was so so tempted but im out of greenhouse space and no room indoors so it was the wrong time. Its a great size for the money, i think you had a bargain icon_thumleft
Freebird

Post by Freebird »

Deedee wrote:Nice icon_thumleft a good size cycad at a good price Freebird, just going to look at your garden ..

That wont take long then.... thought I'd go & have a trunk at yours and WOW icon_salut ....very colourful, ours is very lacking in colour & ground cover but we aim to put that right this year
Delboy wrote:I had that one in my watch list, i was so so tempted but im out of greenhouse space and no room indoors so it was the wrong time. Its a great size for the money, i think you had a bargain icon_thumleft
would have been even better at £32 if someone else hadn't put a bid in 3 seconds earlier but luckily I left a higher bid with 7 seconds left icon_thumbdown
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Freebird wrote:would have been even better at £32 if someone else hadn't put a bid in 3 seconds earlier but luckily I left a higher bid with 7 seconds left
They were probably using a Sniping service, like gixen.com - which is a good job because if they had bid, manually, earlier it might well have driven the price up even more ...
Last edited by Kristen on Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Great buy.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Your garden/borders are just how a tropical garden should look Freebird, The height, form and the choice of plants are just Amazing, Im sure after your losses your garden looks just as good as pre 2010/11 , we have to adjust and me (and others) more so with living up north. Im really looking forward to seeing updated pics of your Tropical Paradise icon_thumleft Go get a blog started :mrgreen: . Dee.
kata

Post by kata »

OMG, that garden is like a tropical paradise,

Its beautiful freebird!

icon_cheers icon_cheers