trachycarpus manipur

kata

Re: trachycarpus manipur

Post by kata »

Is there any way to upload photos on here dave? of the princeps hybride?
Yes certainly Phil...use the browse its just after the posting area..easy peasy.
daz2.gif
daz.gif
pipster 12

Post by pipster 12 »

t manipur and t kumaon winter.gif
t manipur and t kumaon winter.gif (98.61 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
well here goes a few pictures of my palms

my Trachycarpus Manipur is in the background with a Trachycarpus takil "kumaon" form

this was last winter in the greenhouse-the other two are rhapidophyllum hystrix which has grown well and princeps hybrid-which has hardly grown this year?

hope this works
t manipur and t kumaon winter.gif
t manipur and t kumaon winter.gif (98.61 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
t hybrid and r hystrix winter.gif
t hybrid and r hystrix winter.gif (85.18 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
Springy

Post by Springy »

This is my palm that I purchased as Manipur. I have only had it just over a year and it was fine over last winter and even pushed a leaf out!
It will be planted in a sheltered sunny spot this year.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Hi Springy,your palm looks a lot like a couple of palms I have,which were sold,to me as T.Oreophilus.
Last edited by Half Hardy on Tue May 28, 2013 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Springy

Post by Springy »

Half Hardy wrote:Hi Springy,your palm looks a lot like a T.Oreophilus to me.
Hi, funnily enough I purchased an oreophilus at the same time but is only a small plant so I have no comparison.
I was going to post a picture on here of the above palm asking what people thought it was as I wasn't sure if its labelled correctly. icon_scratch
Springy

Post by Springy »

I also thought it looked a lot like Andy's princeps hybrid!
pipster 12

Post by pipster 12 »

Can't speak about the look of T Oreophilus but my Trachycarpus Manipur does have the look of a large leaved silver backed Chamaerops.

but that's just my opinion on my own plant. Sure T Manipur will look much different to chamaerops when mature.

Either way the plant below my pictures-(springy's plant) is still a winner as I like the colour -even if it isn't a Manipur

Off the subject somewhat my T Kumaon is not thriving since buying it -gone yellowish and I have kept feeding it to green it up. Doesn't look dead and it is growing slowly-just yellow?

Got my palms from my palm shop in holland-see link.

http://mypalmshop.com/shop.aspx

phil
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I bought this, as Manipur/naga hill in August 2011,from Amulree.Looks a bit scruffy but not too bad for this time of year.
Attachments
011.JPG
013.JPG
pipster 12

Post by pipster 12 »

I am sorry half hardy but in my opinion that is not a T. manipur. Compare your plant to mine and springy's above.

its either a T. martianus or T. latisectus looking at those broad leaflets. Both martianus and latisectus look similar.

Are the backs of the leaves bluish or silver? cant see from your photograph

Both martianus and latisectus are borderline species in the uk and aren't that hardy

word is -7c absolute limit.

I had a T latisectus that looked exactly the same as yours-I lost it in the end due to those really cold winters. Damaged at around -5 to -7c but came back quickly.

on the plus side both species are absolutely stunning plants. I would definately try them in central london or cornwall.

could be that they are juvenile manipur and the leaves haven't split properly-or a broad leaved form?

I hope I am wrong.

phil
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

Don't be sorry :) I only paid £5 for it and have got the other varieties you mentioned as smaller seedlings.It does look completely different to yours.It is green on the back so I would agree it is most likely a martianus.

Edit...I have just had a look at Daves garden website,the pictures posted by palmbob(I have a lot of respect for this guy,he really knows his stuff) look very similar to the palm I have.
Attachments
007.JPG
This is a smaller palm bought as oreophilus from mps.
This is a smaller palm bought as oreophilus from mps.
pipster 12

Post by pipster 12 »

that's still a bargain! 5 quid!

think both martianus and latisectus class as very attractive palms indeed. And please note no one has trialled a large latisectus in the uk yet from what I was told at Tatton flower show they get much hardier with age and size-but its getting them there.

I read that many palm enthusiasts such as martin gibbons class manipur and oreophillus as the same palm. The second picture "half hardy" is definately a manipur/oreophillus.

I had to say something as I don't like nurseries mis- selling plants. Sometimes they try to get rid of stock and in terms of hardiness it matters what species you put in the garden (especially trachycarpus)

I had a terrible experience with one nursery (note "not" Amulree which look like they sell rare quality plants at very reasonable prices-cant argue with £5 for your plant-very healthy looking)

From "this nursery" I ordered two very rare species only to get something different in terrible condition-1 plant (a rhododendron full of what looked like canker) died a week later. I paid a lot for them as I thought I was paying for rare species.

I didn't complain at the time but nowadays I certainly would.

Won't name and shame for fear of breaking the rules of this forum but I will bet others on here have been ripped off by them.

phil
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Bumping the thread.

A few years ago was given/bought a few varieties of Trachycarpus as strap leaf seedlings. Over time all the labels got lost, pinched by birds or I just relied on memory. Anyway, planted out a few, lost most, but one survived and is now growing well, slow at first but come on well this year. It's crept along the ground (I guess I can't explain it any other way) and have been looking to see if I can find a Trachycarpus similar. I thought maybe it's just variation and then came across this thread and mine looked similar to some shown.

Could mine be a manipur ????
Picture 3493 [640x480].jpg
Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
kata

Post by kata »

I did buy one last year but if my Images are not one then it snuffed it because I have no more.

Springy those spears on yours look enormous..yikes.
Picb.jpg
I thought this might be it.

Or this
Pic3.jpg
icon_study
David York

Post by David York »

DiCasS, that is a very interesting form you have there. Not sure what it is exactly, but is is very interesting indeed!

More shots would be nice to see, especially as it grows bigger.
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten
David York

Post by David York »

Kata, it looks like your two are probably fortunei.

Trachycarpus sp. 'Manipur' and 'Naga Hills' were names temporarily used when this palm was first discovered and these names related to that part of India where it was found. It was given these temporary names because it was thought it might be a new species, and since then, it has indeed been classified as one and has been given a valid new name to reflect this.

The correct name for this palm is now Trachycarpus ukhrulensis, and is named after the town of Ukhrul in the state of Manipur.
Last edited by David York on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vulneratus Non Victus - Wounded But Never Beaten