Brown spots on small Trachies

Tom2006

Brown spots on small Trachies

Post by Tom2006 »

I have a couple of in the ground Trachies. They are small, only a couple of years old but both are covered in small brown spots. I presume its a fungus or something similar. How can I treat it?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Brown spots on small Trachies

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Cut the worst leaves off and spray with a fungicide in autumn and spring. Also don't over water and crowd out with competing plants.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Thanks Kris. Most leaves are badly affected so ill cut them off. What make of fungicide shall i get?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I think it's a plant rescue one that I've got I've lost a few Trachycarpus seedlings to fungus spotting Not so bad on larger palms that can recover. Some palms are worse than others. I have a butia that gets spotting every spring.
kata

Post by kata »

Mine are brown Tom, I think mine dried out over winter or got caught with frost,

icon_cheers
gabriel

Post by gabriel »

Yorkshire Kris wrote: I have a butia that gets spotting every spring.
All of my butias get spotting every year now.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:I think it's a plant rescue one that I've got I've lost a few Trachycarpus seedlings to fungus spotting Not so bad on larger palms that can recover. Some palms are worse than others. I have a butia that gets spotting every spring.
Thanks, I will have a look for some. Its just my two smallest which are east facing so I'm guessing the very long cold winter has taken its toll on them for some reason. My west facing and three potted are so far looking good.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

You should probably be sure it's not a deficiency (could be caused by soil conditions, too wet, too cold, or too much of a particular kind of nutrient) before you go removing all the damaged leaves as in this case you'd only make the problem worse.

http://itp.lucidcentral.org/id/palms/sy ... needs.html
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks very much for the link icon_cheers

I think you may be right about soil, mine are brown along the spear..neglected and too much wet for yunguns does'nt help in my case.

Odd one is ok.
may2013.jpg

Both been out all winter.
Attachments
may20132.jpg
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Vagetarian wrote:You should probably be sure it's not a deficiency (could be caused by soil conditions, too wet, too cold, or too much of a particular kind of nutrient) before you go removing all the damaged leaves as in this case you'd only make the problem worse.

http://itp.lucidcentral.org/id/palms/sy ... needs.html
I might pot them up and see if I can improve them, what do you reckon?
RogerBacardy

Post by RogerBacardy »

Exactly the same thing with my Trachycarpus seedlings.

Think the mould / markings are just a result of cold and damp, but they're now recovering in the sunshine / warmth and sending up healthy looking new leaves (can't really call the emerging leaves spears at that size).
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Kata, I would guess that your diagnosis is fairly correct there. It doesn't look like any pathogen to me because the pattern of the damage is far from random, it's concentrated towards the middle/end of the leaflets.

Tom, I'm certainly no palm disease expert, in fact, the only palm I have outside is 1 Butia and my only Trachycarpus is a little seedling. Even if I were and I had the palm in front of me and went through the excellent symptom checker that I linked, I'd probably still be left scratching my head.

Is the spotting concentrated in any particular areas on the whole plant and on the affected leaves?

All I can really say is don't rush into anything you're unsure of. I tried battling a pathogen once and eventually I realised that it was a nutrient problem caused by too much insanely hard tap water. It's really hard to tell and all plants show symptoms in quite different ways, even different palm species have wildly varying deficiency symptoms.
kata

Post by kata »

I have decrative stones in the marked spear one, no stones in the clear one,

The lime in the stones could be another reason I guess.

Too wet, too cold, neglect in winter and possible lime damage.. icon_cheers
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I don't know if it's particularly sensitive to alkaline soils, it's probably just the cold and wet. I was just pointing out how you can get things wrong easily (or maybe it's just me :lol: ).
kata

Post by kata »

I don't know what soil Trachis like either... :lol:

Lets agree its the soil and wet :mrgreen: