T. rex

Neil Ziemski

T. rex

Post by Neil Ziemski »

Hi all
Any thoughts on this.
The growing point on my T. rex has gone.
The growing point hardens and becomes static, dosent shoot out a new leaf, any experience of this anyone?
It appears to be side shooting lower down.
Should I prune back to this as i would if it was a tree.
The best looking new side shoot is quite low on a four foot trunk
Thanks
Neil
kohwoz

Re: T. rex

Post by kohwoz »

Not so sure mate, as I'm also new to Trex. I got mine from a forum member and the original growing point stopped and is now brown bread. It sent out new growth from 4 points lower down but only one carried on growing, so i snapped the others off. Now its got 5 leaves and producing nearly 2 more athe the same time.

Is it also normal that the first leaves end up,drying up and dying. I would have thought that they would have lasted a lot longer..
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Mine died.....just lifted it and took some root cuttings.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

I'm a bit annoyed really, I didnt wrap it in 2010 and it was fine, I wrapped it this winter and it killed the growing point!
It has 4 stems, all about four foot, so I might prune one and see if it does better than the others.
Neil
Blairs

Post by Blairs »

Neil Ziemski wrote:I'm a bit annoyed really, I didnt wrap it in 2010 and it was fine, I wrapped it this winter and it killed the growing point!
It has 4 stems, all about four foot, so I might prune one and see if it does better than the others.
Neil
It was the late frosts that caused all the trouble this spring. I moved mine inside after the brief spell in March looked like coming to a freezing stop (got -5 here, which matched the low point in early December). I would leave the stem as is as they can rejuvenate upwards.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I would not prune it until the side shoots get established.
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Neil Ziemski wrote:I'm a bit annoyed really, I didnt wrap it in 2010 and it was fine, I wrapped it this winter and it killed the growing point!
Neil
Neil, don't do what I did. I tried this, wanted a tiered look, and cut below the ribbed old wood and thought I'd have it sprout again, but it never. It died :( Just above (last years growth) I've found that's where they sprout from, and although I havent lost top growth, I have plenty of side shoots growing. This is what I've found with mine.

I'm gonna try the tiered look again this year. but cut into last year's growth this time. icon_cheers

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

fern Rob wrote:I would not prune it until the side shoots get established.
Ditto. Leave it for a bit and see what happens icon_thumright
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Mine is small, only planted this spring, and I have the same problem with the leaves ending up drying up and dying.

It first grew 3 nice leaves and they died... Then another one popped up and is already dying, without even having unfurled fully. I can't see if it still has a growing point, it's too small, and since it doesn't have an established root system I'm afraid the entire plant might die :cry:
DiCasS

Post by DiCasS »

Should have put a picture up.
Picture 3085 [640x480].jpg
I'm going to try cutting it off just above the lowest couple of shoots to see if it works for me this year. Fingers crossed.
I shall just try the one for now.

Di
I'm at an age where my back goes out more than I do.
Supporter of the N.A.S.
multim

Post by multim »

I too would leave it a bit to see, if anywhere it shoots. I planted mine in May last year and gave it a good mulch of composted manure (the stuff that you buy) and threw some fleece over it when it got really cold. It has 5 new leaves now and looking good. Perhaps next year it will spread when the roots are well established. P.S. Some have referred T.Rex as Trex.....I thought hat was margarine!
call

Post by call »

wow i did not know this plant was that tender, since mine has stayed in full leaf overwinter but I can say that the leaves are looking a bit tatty :roll:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Bob on here gave me a great tip, just stick a 2 litre coke bottle with the spout cut off, over the growing point (s) this should see them through majority of winters.