Dee's Garden Rebuild from Winter Damage Blog.

Forum rules
Same rules apply here as on the Main Community forum, be polite, tolerant, and courteous. If you are not happy with a post,'report' it.

Users cannot start their own topics in this area, so if you want a blog topic started, contact using contacts form at the bottom of the page :)
GoggleboxUK

Re: Dee's Garden Rebuild from Winter Damage Blog.

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Deedee wrote:Gogs, found it. Its a shuttlecock Fern. You dont want the Latin name, do you?
No I can't speak Latin :lol:

Thanks Dee, might have to grab a couple of those because I don't think my Canna are coming back this year.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Thanks Del, I'll nip in for a look at mine on Tuesday.

;)
Nick

Post by Nick »

What an amazing garden, so relaxing and tropical.

icon_thumleft
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Thanks Nick...
Nick

Post by Nick »

Hi DeeDee,
that's a beautiful shuttlecock fern. Have you ever thought of separating them. I can see there's at least two there. I am amazed at the colors in your garden
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Hi Nick, Some of the fronds are still unfurling and they are coming up further along past the Trachycarpus, I dont know how to seperate them, im guessing when they first appear and to use a sharp blade, as it happens i was thinking it was gett'n too big and taking over a bit..
kata

Post by kata »

No I can't speak Latin
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dee, look what I bought for the garden, can't sort it yet cus where I want it I have a Bees nest. Everytime I go near there out they come. :( :(

http://hydrostore.com/bernini/

I hope to fix it up as soon as I think the Bees are inactive this evening late on.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Nick

Post by Nick »

Deedee wrote:Hi Nick, Some of the fronds are still unfurling and they are coming up further along past the Trachycarpus, I dont know how to seperate them, im guessing when they first appear and to use a sharp blade, as it happens i was thinking it was gett'n too big and taking over a bit..
Dee, to late now but mine were easy to do anyway. They send out runners underground and when the new baby fern popped up I simply cut through the runner and moved the new baby fern . I separated some in april but mine are much smaller as I have vertuly no soil and also chalk underneath, not the best for ferns. Perhaps Arlon will see this and help, his shuttlecocks were close together like yours but much bigger. I never knew they could form a trunk but his do.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

A trunk! ill look out for that, must look amazing. Thanks nick for the advice, ill cut some out next year..
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Deedee wrote:A trunk! ill look out for that, must look amazing. Thanks nick for the advice, ill cut some out next year..
Took a few pics this morning for you Dee.

This is part of the shuttlecock / fern bed where my largest one is. Stands approx 4ft with a "trunk" of 11 inches......

I've recently tilted the trunk to a more upright position as it was getting top heavy and threatening to go over, hence the rope around the trunk tied to a steel rod until it settles ...

I had to separate the big one from another "trunked" shuttlecock which were in the same close situation as yours. I simply took a woodsaw and gently cut down between the two trunks and then thru the rootball. They have a thick mat of roots, so no harm done . Shuttlecocks will colonize an area quit quickly by spreading underground more than by spore. The first set of fronds are sterile , the second flush of fronds are smaller and its these that bear spores. The large one is just starting its second flush . I started with just the two ferns and now a couple of years later there must be 15 / 20 .
I always propagate shuttlecocks / any fern when the weather is on the turn for the good in spring and the croziers are still tucked up.

icon_thumleft
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Deeded, your garden is always so good to look at. You've got so many pots, you must be out there all the time watering them! :D
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
Deedee wrote:Gogs, found it. Its a shuttlecock Fern.
Thanks Dee, might have to grab a couple of those because I don't think my Canna are coming back this year.
Got mine from
http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/a ... html#aSHUF
£2.49 (5-off). Dunno about carriage though - unless you buy other stuff.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Kata thats gorgeous and what a good idea, no electric or depending on the sun, did you put it out yet.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
Deedee wrote:Gogs, found it. Its a shuttlecock Fern. You dont want the Latin name, do you?
No I can't speak Latin :lol:

They are superb ferns. I got five small ones a couple of years ago and five have become....LOTS :lol: I'm thinking of thinning them out, not sure on the postage but if your interested let me know and I can price that up and get a few sent across. icon_thumleft

Mark, that trunked one is amazing, I thought they just died back each year?...or is it not a shuttlecock?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

wow Arlon i didn't know they did that, yours look brilliant. ive checked this morning and there's 5 ferns and 2 or 3 small one's, ill check if there are trunks starting, i learn something every day from you guys icon_thumleft cheers.

Dorothy, i try not to have so many pots because of watering but i dont have much planting space left in the borders and there are so many plants i need :mrgreen: