Cycad flush. AGAIN!

Matcycas7

Re: Cycad flush

Post by Matcycas7 »

Andy, nice big flush. How long are your fronds ?
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Matcycas7 wrote:Andy, nice big flush. How long are your fronds ?
Hi, the longest fronds are just over 3ft at 38 inches. Where abouts in India are you from?
Panama Pete

Post by Panama Pete »

Ive got one in water waiting to flush. This is only day 2 so fingets crossed.
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

Panama, you don't have to chop and dip to see the outcome. You may kill it if it fails. Your smile will only get bigger if you buy the big one.

Andy, even my fronds are 38 inchs long in 2013 flush. Strange thing is that my 2013 flush had only 25 fronds which is less than the previous year 2012 which had 37 fronds. However the 25 fronds are tall and wide than the 37 fronds. The volume of 2012 flush of 37 fronds is nearly equal to the volume of 2013 flush of 25 fronds. I suspect two heavy rains of 2013 during flush time at 40*c in Hyderabad, India.

Next time when you plan for a pot change don't destroy thick roots of pen size. Keep 3 inchs perlite on top of pot and 2 or 3 inchs perlite at the bottom while keeping sand at the center.

Your flush looks big and bold but to be beautiful it needs a little twist of overhead light from the top of crown or you can align them with you fingers when the stripes are curling like the star patten I had. Why your flush looks dark green while mine looks light green ? Is it because of miracle grow you use ? Look mine, did my old fronds dried at flush time then why should it happen to you when we both have them in pots ?

2012........... http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 14&t=16018
2013........... http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 0&start=15
Attachments
DSC028777.jpg
DSC028777.jpg (39.92 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I got home from work today and did my usual walk round the garden to check on my plants. Whilst doing so i remembered that i havn`t watered my Cycad in the Conservatory for 3 or 4 days and it`s been getting up to 40c in there lately so i rushed to water it. When i got over to it i had to do a double take! Could hardly believe it. It`s started to flush AGAIN! :ahhh!: I`ve been led to believe that they only flush every 2 or 3 years, if your lucky, but this one has now flushed twice in just over 12 months. It`s not just the main plant that`s started to flush again either - 2 of the 3 pups at it`s base are flushing too! :D It certainly looks like a happy cycad.
Few pics i took tonight.
Attachments
2013-06-25 18.51.52.jpg
2013-06-25 18.52.14.jpg
2013-06-25 18.53.06.jpg
2013-06-25 18.52.28.jpg
pdid

Re: Cycad flush. AGAIN!

Post by pdid »

That's a great looking cycad Andy, well done on the successive flushes.
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

Andy, you got the flush on 29 May 2012 and this time you had flush on Jun 2013. It is normal. It is a single flush not the double flush in a year. Even mine flushed on Mar 2012 and later in April 2013. If you get another flush within 6 months then consider it twice.
daz h

Post by daz h »

bought my first Cycas revoluta in april for a fiver from a plant fair . mines just started flushing as well.
Attachments
2013-07-19 07.16.56.jpg
2013-07-19 07.17.09.jpg
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

daz h, I keep stressing on the fact that pot must have atleast 4 drain holes which most of us over water and ignore it and loose the old fronds. Don't keep it in direct full sun over 40*C and don't turn the pot otherwise the fronds will twist madly. Keep it outdoor close to a wall with max shade and little morning sun.

Let me know the number of days it takes for your flush to complete.
daz h

Post by daz h »

been going for about four or five days now, its in very free draining soil with lots of grit and perlite.