cycas revoluta - Whats wrong with mine?

piechnik99

cycas revoluta - Whats wrong with mine?

Post by piechnik99 »

Hello,

Another thread seraching for help with my cycas revoluta.

As you can see, the fronds have turned white, and the remaining green isn't as lush as it was.

Its overwintered in the house (hence the leaf curl), and placed out on the patio when it warmedup. Its planted in a very well drained soil mix (something like 3 parts sand to 2 parts soil to 1 part grit).

Im not sure if the white leaf fronds have been caused by overwatering (rarely water it, but gave it a good soaking when it first went outside) or if it is caused by the being placed out in full sun rather than gradually acclimitised to the south facing patio.

Will the fronds green up again? Whats the best way to keep it looking better than it does here? How often should I water & feed (when I bought the guy told me not to bother with either as they 'live in dirt' in the wild)

Any tips on how to avoid leaf curl in the winter?

Cheers icon_salut
Attachments
IMG_05701.jpg
IMG_0568.JPG
IMG_0569.JPG
kata

Re: cycas revoluta - Whats wrong with mine?

Post by kata »

It should be fine, give it a feed and plenty sun, not too much water.

Remember these plants are in hot countries so I can't see where sun here would bother it.

icon_cheers
pdid

Post by pdid »

Leaves/fronds curve is normal I think icon_scratch

Discolouration is sunburn, they will not green up again.

A flush (new set of leaves) is the only way it will green up again. Encourage this by watering every night whilst the weather is warm, they are finicky on when they flush so don't expect immediate results.

Otherwise the plat will be fine just scruffy looking in the meantime.
Matcycas7

Post by Matcycas7 »

piechnik99, if the fronds turn directly to white then it is definetly the sign of root rot. Immediately remove the Cycas
from the pot then wash the roots with a water pipe to remove all the sticky sand on the roots. You will find atleast one
jelly white rotten root that smells bad so cut that part with a neat blade. Best option is to keep it in a pot full of perlite without watering for a week in shade. Otherwise keep it in normal dry sand without watering for a week in shade. Make 4 holes under the pot for accurate drainage. Keep a spoon of coffee powder on the top of sand or perlite and spray water on it but don't wet the soil, just a misty spray to keep it moist and that can dry in a minute. After a week you can normally water it not more than mug of water for that size on every Sunday. I think it is too late for you to know this as all your fronds has already turned white in a day and I know that as "I have been there, done that". However, you can save the trunk and its life for the next flush.

I lost most of the lower fronds. Believe it or not, if the fronds turn slightly yellow then it has the ability to turn back to green on a rainy season. But if it is white then no way as it is in a rotten state. Read my topics to know my own experience.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

I'd go with sunburn too icon_thumright They do grow in full sun, but if not acclimatised they will burn, I had the same thing happen with one I had years ago...
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

It`s Sunburn. It will look a lot better when it flushes next but the current leaves it has will stay the same. It`s nothing to worry about. As regards watering... Let the soil dry out fully between waterings and then soak it. I`ve found they respond very well to miracle grow. It`s not true that they don`t need much water as i find they can be very thirsty plants, just don`t keep the soil wet all the time.
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Nathan wrote:I'd go with sunburn too icon_thumright They do grow in full sun, but if not acclimatised they will burn, I had the same thing happen with one I had years ago...
Makes sense - next summer I will creep it into the sun rather than straight out from the hall way....
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Andy P wrote:It`s Sunburn. It will look a lot better when it flushes next but the current leaves it has will stay the same. It`s nothing to worry about. As regards watering... Let the soil dry out fully between waterings and then soak it. I`ve found they respond very well to miracle grow. It`s not true that they don`t need much water as i find they can be very thirsty plants, just don`t keep the soil wet all the time.
Is it best to keep in part shade then rather than leave it exposed in full sun? How often do they have new flushes of leaves? How often to feed? I bought some of the palm focus feed - once a week/fortnight?
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Nathan wrote:I'd go with sunburn too icon_thumright They do grow in full sun, but if not acclimatised they will burn, I had the same thing happen with one I had years ago...
Acclimitising makes sense - how did yours recover?
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Matcycas7 wrote:Best option is to keep it in a pot full of perlite without watering for a week in shade. Otherwise keep it in normal dry sand without watering for a week in shade.....After a week you can normally water it not more than mug of water for that size on every Sunday. I think it is too late for you to know this as all your fronds has already turned white in a day and I know that as "I have been there, done that". However, you can save the trunk and its life for the next flush.
I have a part shadey area which I will be putting it. i won't be overwatering it again, thats for sure!
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Mine lives in my conservatory at the moment. It quite often reaches 40 degrees c in there and the Sun is on it more or less all day. They love heat and full Sun but they can Sunburn quite easily if they`re not used to it. If it was mine then i`d keep it in full Sun and give it as much heat as possible. When dry i soak mine with a miracle grow solution and then allow it to dry out again. Don`t give it feeds such as miracle grow or palm feeds every time you water it though as i think this can cause a build up of salts and be more harm than help.
This is how mine looks on this regime
Attachments
2013-06-25 18.51.52.jpg
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

Andy P wrote:Mine lives in my conservatory at the moment. It quite often reaches 40 degrees c in there and the Sun is on it more or less all day. They love heat and full Sun but they can Sunburn quite easily if they`re not used to it. If it was mine then i`d keep it in full Sun and give it as much heat as possible. When dry i soak mine with a miracle grow solution and then allow it to dry out again. Don`t give it feeds such as miracle grow or palm feeds every time you water it though as i think this can cause a build up of salts and be more harm than help.
This is how mine looks on this regime
Thats some Cyad! How often do you feed yours?
pdid

Post by pdid »

I bought mine from ikea 2 years ago, put it outside, got sunburn. Just starting to flush now. No special treatment. I wouldn't put it in shade though.
piechnik99

Post by piechnik99 »

pdid wrote:I bought mine from ikea 2 years ago, put it outside, got sunburn. Just starting to flush now. No special treatment. I wouldn't put it in shade though.
Fair enough, leave in the sun, water when dry, feed every now and again, and fingers crossed?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

piechnik99 wrote:
Acclimitising makes sense - how did yours recover?
I had to put up with the damaged fronds until it put out a new flush the following year, then I cut off the old ones. Don't forget though if yours does flush not to move it & it will distort the fronds icon_thumright