pictures of my canna cleopatra's and some others for Di

sanatic1234

Re: pictures of my canna cleopatra's and some others for Di

Post by sanatic1234 »

I just cant see the point in keeping a plant that is virused and will only under perform and look terrible and kill off your other canna's. Why keep it for the sake of a small sum of money. There was a retail shop where i live that was selling canna's and every canna was virsued you could tell so easily anyway i told the store manager he listened to what i said although he look oblivious as to what i was talking about anyway he still kept them on the shelves. The following year they didn't stock them and have not since. :lol: i wonder why.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Looking at this post, makes me want to fill the borders with cannas next year, especially when flowering with decent height they really are a stunning plant.

This year they have thrived with the superheat in July i'd guess, but what would be the best strategy to fill my borders next year? I'd hate to wait till October for flowers again like 2012.

Buy as corms or seed?
Sow in January?
Bring on in greenhouse until start of June, to gain some height and maturity?
Plant out?
Profit?

^ amend as necessary icon_scratch
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

If you can cordy either buy seeds or the plants when in growth. Buying corm you run the risk of buying a virused plant. Sow seed in mid - late march. when in growth put in to the greenhouse, then acclimatize in June and get them planted out. You will no doubt end up with smaller flowers in the first year due to them being newly grown but over the space of a couple of years the flower size will increase and produce more flowers to but in the first year you will still get the nice big banana type leaves. Dont forget the FEED and WATER they love it! Not sure what you mean by profit?
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Cheers San. Anywhere you can recommend for the seed, im after the decent performing darker varieties.

Profit is just Internet forum slang, for winner, great success, jobs and good un etc. Lol
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Oh i am with you now cordy. :lol: silly me. I rate this place and they sell CLEAN stock. http://www.hartcanna.co.uk/catalogue.html#foliage
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

You could try ebay but the choice on seed is extremely limited.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

miketropic wrote:is that the red ribbed one next to them just an Indica? My cleos put out red flowers in early summer but have been all yellow since..a few red thrown in there
Sorry mike they are Canna warszewiczii not a form of indica. Heart canna have the same ones although they are completely sold out now for 2013 it is exactly the same plant. If you still can't find that over where you live i will still do the trade with you. :) Just wanted to put the name right.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

sanatic1234 wrote:
miketropic wrote:is that the red ribbed one next to them just an Indica? My cleos put out red flowers in early summer but have been all yellow since..a few red thrown in there
Sorry mike they are Canna warszewiczii not a form of indica. Heart canna have the same ones although they are completely sold out now for 2013 it is exactly the same plant. If you still can't find that over where you live i will still do the trade with you. :) Just wanted to put the name right.

I sure will trade with you I have never even heard of that one over here.. we get new types every year so in the spring you can pick a few you like and we can swap.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Yes ok then mike that sounds good. :-)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I have plenty of Canna warszewiczii seed if you want some Mike (although would be best to wait until this year's set seed, so you have fresh seed rather than year-old, although I expect that will germinate just fine)
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Just took a collection from one of my plants kristen, got 19 of one plant :-) still 3 more pods to take of that plant yet. I think i may have a big collection this year. only managed about 40+ last year which wasn't all that good really.
dorothy

Post by dorothy »

Mine have got very large this summer and a couple have flowered so far, but tbh was not that impressed with them. Last year hardly any flowered, so I might give them a miss next year :?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

More feed Dorothy, get that tomato feed on it once height has been reached. All my Dahlias are full of buds and flowers done really well. :D
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

sanatic1234 wrote:More feed Dorothy, get that tomato feed on it once height has been reached. All my Dahlias are full of buds and flowers done really well. :D
tomato feed, over miracle grow etc?

i guess fruit/flowers are encouraged by the same element?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

cordyman wrote:tomato feed, over miracle grow etc?

i guess fruit/flowers are encouraged by the same element?
Yes - the "K" in N:P:K ratio is for Flower / Fruit, and tomato fertiliser should have a proportionately bigger number for "K"