Gardeners World

Gaz

Gardeners World

Post by Gaz »

Anyone watched it tonight?

Looks like they decided bubblewrapping tree-ferns isnt so good after all!!!

Although treating a Tetrapanax as a perenial is a bit unusual!!! :lol: :lol:
tropical-pete

Post by tropical-pete »

What planet are they on! :lol:
Darren Turner

Post by Darren Turner »

LOL I was waiting to see some posts on tonight's show.

Toss wasn't it.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Do people really protect their treeferns like that?
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Gaz - I'm glad you started this topic because it is exactly why I rebelled against the RHS.

Does anyone who has success with succulents, just rip a leaf off and stick it in compost. Recipe for rot. Can't believe they just did that
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by EandE »

Dave Brown wrote:Does anyone who has success with succulents, just rip a leaf off and stick it in compost.
Its always worked for me!
Darren Turner

Post by Darren Turner »

I use this technique in Spring or early summer but to do it this so close to low temps is a little risky I feel.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

And why would you wrap a Dicksonia antarctica to keep moisture off the trunk?
I thought plenty of moisture was what they needed :?:
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

No its not our way of doing things but wait till spring to see how they fare before laughing.
You would cry at some of my wintering attemps in the past. Wrapping a Dicksonia antarctica in bubblewrap isnt neccesary but I cant see itll harm it, the trunk will sweat inside and stay well moist.
In fairness, I didnt see the program so Im not fully sure what they were up to.
Libby

Post by Libby »

Crumbs, totally forgot it was on! I don't have to wrap up the tree fern as well do I?????

Has anyone wrapped there bananas yet?
simon

Post by simon »

I think they do things a bit 'arris about face. They wrapped the Dicksonia antarctica trunk with straw and chicken wire, but then left the crown exposed, saying that insulating the crown now may promote new growth. Also Why would you hack off the leaves of a Basjoo and wrap it now, when it may look good for weeks before the frost browns all the leaves off?
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Libby, just put a little bit of screwed up fleece into the top of your ferns (assuming they are Dicksonia antarctica). This protects next years knuckles, dont worry about the fronds, if we get a mild winter youll keep most and if its a hard one then youll lose them. I dont mind either way with mine, in fact its nice to cut all the fronds off in late winter/early spring to allow light back into the garden for a while. You also get to see the magic show a lot better when the new croziers start to unfurl.
Libby

Post by Libby »

Brilliant thanks for that! :D
lucienc

Post by lucienc »

OMG they showed a flash of Will Giles garden this week.
daz

Post by daz »

Gardeners world tonight.Keep cannas moist?Ithought thay had to be bone dry all winter. :shock: Any thoughts?