any ideas what this is ?

delboy12

any ideas what this is ?

Post by delboy12 »

been growing this for about 5 years ,a friend gave it to me.and now this happening icon_scratch
Attachments
IMG_1325.jpg
IMG_1330.jpg
stephenprudence

Re: any ideas what this is ?

Post by stephenprudence »

Fascicularia bicolor? A bromeliad from Chile I think? It has flowered!
GREVILLE

Post by GREVILLE »

Agree. I have a mature one of these and that is exactly what it does every year.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

Very good pic of the plant. icon_thumright

They are relatively hardy.... down to at least -6C here.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by multim »

Yes, that's what it is. I've grown Fasicularia for years without protection - without issue. This year I decided to move it and reduce the size as it had spread too much for its position. Out it came easily due to shallow roots and I divided it with an axe! The older parts of the plant were discarded and the young growth planted in its new position where it is doing well and red as a baboons bottom!
simon

Post by simon »

Nice pictures. The flowers never look that good on mine, they seem to attract the slugs.
Clive60

Post by Clive60 »

I have had two for five years and they are about 18" across and they haven't flowered they don't look particularly interesting or exotic with no colour or flowers so I am going to dig them out and dispose of them and plant two Chamy Cerifera in their place.
JoelR

Post by JoelR »

Looks like Fascicularia bicolor ssp. bicolor, less hardy than ssp. canaliculata and not totally hardy this far north. I've read reports that it's very shy to flower but mine flowers most years around now when I move it into the greenhouse.

Anyone growing related Ochagavia's? I got as couple of seedlings of O. carnea from a grower on Ebay last year. now making good plants with offsets but no flowers yet.