Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Who knows of LARGE Washingtonia palms - Discussion Topic

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

There's nothing big up here.
billdango

Post by billdango »

Rob S wrote:Interesting to note that nobody from the South West or the 'English Riviera' has posted yet! With their 'sub-tropical' climate there must be Skyduster forests down there! :wink:
There are probably lots of Washingtonias hidden away in peoples gardens that don't notice from the road.

I think there is a fairly large Washingtonia near the riviera center and a few smaller ones scattered nearby.

Its probably a bit windy along that part of the seafront so Washingtonias get a bit damaged and not really worth bothering with.

But if anyone wants to see what sort of palms do grow in Torquay then just log on to google, then tap in FLICKR,TORQUAY PALMS. At the moment up to last night there were 169 pictures worth looking at.
I think its the first line thats the best.

A google trip around Torquay away from the seafront will show lots of other interesting exotics.

billdango :D
billdango

Re: Who knows of LARGE Washingtonia palms in UK ?

Post by billdango »

The Codfather wrote:I see there is not many up North
We don't know yet as there may still be some surprises to come and I will take bets that some person who grows palms may have given it a go.

But I suppose the biggest and best specimens will be only found in London and in sheltered places along the south coast.

bildango :D
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Hopefully I'll get a picture of one on Saturday on the Wirral, will need to ask as its in a private garden.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

cheshirepalms wrote:Hopefully I'll get a picture of one on Saturday on the Wirral, will need to ask as its in a private garden.
If it is in public view and you take a pic from a public place, you don't have to ask permission, as it's like asking if you can look as you go past, although if the person is in the garden it would be courteous. Obviously going onto a property to take a pic is an entirely different matter.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by billdango »

Dave Brown wrote:
cheshirepalms wrote:Hopefully I'll get a picture of one on Saturday on the Wirral, will need to ask as its in a private garden.
If it is in public view and you take a pic from a public place, you don't have to ask permission, as it's like asking if you can look as you go past, although if the person is in the garden it would be courteous. Obviously going onto a property to take a pic is an entirely different matter.
Thats the problem I faced when I started that thread last year called [100 exotics in Southamptons parks and gardens]?

I had to abort mission on number 40 I think because after I had photograthed most of the decent exotics in public places I was left with private gardens and not one of the 10 or so home owners with decent exotics that I contacted would let me take pictures of their plants.

I suppose they thought that I was going to return later and dig them up.

Its a shame because one of these gardens had [in the back] a huge B capitata nearly 18 feet tall and others had some huge yucca species plus lots of other tasty exotics.

I may just have to type out a list of these other 60 exotics and leave it at that.

billdango :(
cheshirepalms
Location: Ellesmere Port, Mersey estuary, Cheshire 53.2N 2.8W

Post by cheshirepalms »

Dave Brown wrote:
I could but the pavement is much higher than the border in which its planted and its behind a wall, so I would only have a photo of the top foliage. I'm going to a football match in Rock Ferry, so If I have time before I'll do a detour. If not I'll make a plan to do so soon.
parkeey

Post by parkeey »

love these palms, id quite to purchase a washington, were can i get a good size one.. do u think a 15 ltr is a good size to start from..
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

parkeey wrote:love these palms, id quite to purchase a washington, were can i get a good size one.. do u think a 15 ltr is a good size to start from..
Well the Palm Centre had some really nice plants a few months ago at good prices and you're not so far away!
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

DaveP wrote:
Rob S wrote:Interesting to note that nobody from the South West or the 'English Riviera' has posted yet! With their 'sub-tropical' climate there must be Skyduster forests down there! :wink:
That was an unnecessarily sneering remark icon_thumbdown What's your problem?
The few Washingtonias I've seen locally (I don't bother to grow them) have been blown to bits. Nobody seems to plant them here and even the sheds don't appear to stock them. There was a pair with a couple of metres of trunk that were planted in 1999 outside a hotel just up the road from here, but when that was demolished and replaced with a block of flats, the Washies went as well.
Come on Dave, lighten up, it's only a plant forum not Mumsnet, it was not meant to offend just light sarcasm at best, sorry if i offended you!
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

Rob S wrote: Come on Dave, lighten up, it's only a plant forum not Mumsnet, it was not meant to offend just light sarcasm at best, sorry if i offended you!
Yes, I probably was being overly tetchy - a very 'tricky' week resulting in a major sense of humour outage. I'll take that back - apols for the outburst.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

billdango wrote:
Thats the problem I faced when I started that thread last year called [100 exotics in Southamptons parks and gardens]?

I had to abort mission on number 40 I think because after I had photographed most of the decent exotics in public places I was left with private gardens and not one of the 10 or so home owners with decent exotics that I contacted would let me take pictures of their plants.

I suppose they thought that I was going to return later and dig them up.

billdango :(
I suppose they may have a point Bill. If you were to take a pic of the plant then put a link to street view, you have alerted any unscrupulous plant collector to the whereabouts of a decent plant, rather than them having to trawl street view for weeks.
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Re: Who knows of LARGE Washingtonia palms - DISCUSS HERE

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Don't know about any big ones but I've got some one year old seedlings here in doncaster. Any advice on overwintering????
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:I've got some one year old seedlings here in doncaster. Any advice on overwintering????
Yes. A heated greenhouse. :lol:
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Conifers wrote:
doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:I've got some one year old seedlings here in doncaster. Any advice on overwintering????
Yes. A heated greenhouse. :lol:
Thanks for the reply, do you think my conservatory will do if i lay paper, leaves or straw around the bases? :lol: