New member - New garden!

Steph

Re: New member - New garden!

Post by Steph »

Wood fence posts aren't such a bad idea.
Over 33 years we inherited wood, they rotted, we gradually replaced them all with concrete.
The panels have been replaced as needed but now, between ivy stems & ground movement the posts have just been changed again. Those 6 x 6 panels used to fit perfectly.
jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

Latest progress from this morning...
The HUGE raised bed has now been completed and needs to be filled with soil. The guys are getting some soil conditioner in to mix with the heavy clay they have recovered from the dig.
I am awaiting a parcel from China with LEDs to set into the sleepers to illuminate the path between the bed and the lawn.
On the other side the edges of the patio area have been set with blockwork.
Attachments
PHOTO_20131105_075009.jpg
PHOTO_20131105_075019.jpg
jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

What preservative have they used on the sleepers?
Kris, the preservative is a damp proofer and water proofer from a builders merchant. They have used it on all the inside surfaces of the sleepers to prevent water ingress.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

jetsetwilly wrote:
What preservative have they used on the sleepers?
Kris, the preservative is a damp proofer and water proofer from a builders merchant. They have used it on all the inside surfaces of the sleepers to prevent water ingress.
Thank you. I must look into this as I am using lots of sleepers in my garden.

The progress is great! Just what you hope I guess when you get the professionals in!
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Your gardens coming along well.
DAVIDEVANS

Post by DAVIDEVANS »

I'm just down the road in Tewkesbury and can give you a small pot of Phyllostachys Nigra. Am planning on thinning my clump out over winter, same for Aurea.
jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

Thanks Dave, might take you up on that. The landscapers will be leaving mine bound to prevent spread, however I may use it in other areas. I will let you know. Im not sure how much coverage the listed plants will cover until they arive. Im hoping there arent many bare areas although of course I must allow for maturity and spread of all the plants.
jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

Photo update - patio has started!
Due to the recent rain the chaps have been forced to retreat into their pickup but a break in the weather over the next few days should see some good progress.
They have started in the grass-roofed hut area. This will be cut to a circle to match the footings laid beneath.
Attachments
Patio started to be laid
Patio started to be laid
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I like the stone .
jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

Thanks Rob, yes it looks great close up. Its Indian sandstone and is full of texture and the odd plant fossil. Same price as the imitation stuff apparently so I was happy to use it.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I have indian stone in my garden. I found out a little fact about the fossils in the indian stone, they are not actually fossils yet they are just oil deposits that have not fossilised yet. Just thought it was interesting.
Deedee

Post by Deedee »

Love the stone, Your garden is going to look amazing Jetset, looking forward to see'ing it next spring..
jetsetwilly

Post by jetsetwilly »

Thank Deedee, cant wait till the plants go in and to see them starting to establish in the new year.

This weeks progress -
Framing for the block paving is complete, digger has now left site, some areas of paving are complete and pointed (note covering to prevent frost damage).
Attachments
Block paving started
Block paving started
Framing for block paving in place. Note small bed next to house
Framing for block paving in place. Note small bed next to house
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Great updates, looking forward to seeing how the garden progresses.

Are you planning on doing any planting this winter/through the winter?
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Coming along well.