Holland park garden/park in London

Dim

Holland park garden/park in London

Post by Dim »

Yesterday, I had to go to the Greek embassy in London and was early, so popped into the Holland Park garden

I was amazed to see a section planted in tropical style .... loads of different Bamboo, Tree ferns, Trachycarpus, different musa, Gymnocarpa, Begonia, Perilla, canna, ricinus, coleus, Paulownia tomentosa and even a T-Rex .... loads of other exotic plants that I don't know the names of

well worth a visit if you are in the area

I took a few photos but cannot find the cable to download the potos from my phone to my pc .... I will try find the cable a bit later on after work and update
Rob S

Re: Holland park garden/park in London

Post by Rob S »

Just to add to the atmosphere there are often flocks of wild Parakeets to be seen in the park which is a rather nice touch although i believe they are considered a threat to our native birds!
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

I was there a couple of weeks ago and took some photos and have been meaning to post them so thanks for the prompting!!
Attachments
Dicksonia, Ensetes, Colocasia, Impatiens and a nice Magnolia
Dicksonia, Ensetes, Colocasia, Impatiens and a nice Magnolia
Dicksonia
Dicksonia
Impressed that they used Alocasias!
Impressed that they used Alocasias!
Dim

Post by Dim »

I went to London yesterday, and none of the tree ferns, musa etc in holland park have been covered / protected yet

there are some huge ones there
otorongo

Post by otorongo »

Dim wrote:I went to London yesterday, and none of the tree ferns, musa etc in holland park have been covered / protected yet
Maybe they never are? Sorry if I'm talking nonsense, I don't know how hardy they are, and Holland Park is quite central.
leunerj

Post by leunerj »

I would imagine they probably aren't protected at all. It's very central and none of the Phoenix canariensis in the area were damaged in the 2010/11 winter so I would imagine it's very protected. That said, all the Dicksonias looked as if they had only been planted this year so it'll be interesting to see how they cope with their first winter in the ground. There are also a few Alocasias in there too which I'm sure wouldn't survive the winter even in a protected area like that... I live nearby so I'll keep watch throughout the winter and update this thread!
RozDevon

Post by RozDevon »

Wow, thats gorgeous!
Thanks for posting those lovely photos.
Nigel Fear

Post by Nigel Fear »

The treeferns look a recent addition going by the lack of older fronds and older stipes on them.
Nice looking garden though.