Hi from Wild Wet Wiltshire

kata

Re: Hi from Wild Wet Wiltshire

Post by kata »

Here is the kind of wall I had at my old bungalow, the wall stretched right along a full terrace except the people who decided to discard.

The Sedum was on next doors walling. With the spaces both top and bottom I could push plants through.
summer2010.jpg
green.jpg
A piece of this green stuff flew in, just one bit this summer. Its got yellow flowers.

I think its a weed, abeit, very nice little weed when the flowers open up.

This Sedum is climbing accross a wall of a neighbour's garage, back end is in my garden.
sedum.jpg
It has'nt flowerd though.

icon_sunny
mand

Post by mand »

Oh thank you for taking the pics! I'll have another go next year as soon as the "attacking" weather goes away, meaning the wind and/or driving rain either of which will push a baby plant out of place. March/April-ish. I even have some snippets already, stolen from neighbours' walls, rooted from last year. In fact one bit I left lying in the lid of a coffee jar and never got around to potting or planting, but it rooted so I watered it, and it's still in the same lid several years later - flowers every year on my windowsill!

We get that pretty little weed too. Weeds are unwanted plants - which means not many things in my garden are truly weeds. :smile:
kata

Post by kata »

My pleasure Mand,

I have no idea what the name of the green sedum is, pity it does'nt flower.

Weeds can be pretty too.

Mallo flower
Blackeyed susan
Grannies bonnet; (aquilegia)
Honesty flower is like a Geranium. I walked to the doctors today and a Geranium is still in flower.
icon_sunny
iris_foetidissima.JPG
iris_foetidissima.JPG (173.25 KiB) Viewed 1314 times
Iris foetidissima seed pods

All weeds apparently
mand

Post by mand »

I love your photos :)
kata

Post by kata »

Found the red Sedum Mands,

I must have took it before I moved, three years later it should have really taken off.

:lol: :lol:
pinkseedum.JPG
pinkseedum.JPG (53.2 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
You can put small plants like Lewisia in a wall.
lewisia.jpg
mand

Post by mand »

Mmm... I suppose any rockery plants. I just did a bad job of it when I tried, but I've had a few years of improving health and you keep thinking you're so much better than six months ago, you must be fine now - until something doesn't work and you realise how far you are from fine. Three years ago I had a pack of 12 bulbs (Allium I think) and they sat moulding while I sat week after week feeling bad about it. Altogether I managed to get two of them in the ground, and in the spring one of those came up. - I'm a lot further on than that now. :D One day you never know, I may get the whole garden BOTH easy-care AND full of ground cover to keep away the less attractive of the weeds, and colourful and without slippery gunge on the paving! :mrgreen:
kata

Post by kata »

Awe, I hpe your better than you were Mands,

Illness is very restricting and gardening needs you to be fit as you can be. I have joint trouble and gardening leaves me with at least three broken nights if I dig or lift beyond what my joints allow but I refuse to give it up gardening Its the only thing I am any good at.

Flowers more than tropical me.

It won't do the plants any harm to be squeezed into position Mands. That wall was so full of weeds as you can see but Joe was a very old man who I became friends with. An Irish man. I lived in a bedsit on his road and wished I was next door to him, I left to live near my sister but later finally I got the bungalow I wanted next to Joe... :lol: :lol:

Joe died.

I left it three years ago and I don't half miss the bungalow and the birds that used to play acrobats on the feeder and clothes line. It was a double aspect bungalow and I will go back one day.

You know, I bought some Aliums Drumstick bulbs but they never did show.

You can always have some of that green matting Sedum, its great on weeds. I your own time, when your fit as a butchers dog maybe. :lol:

icon_sunny
kata

Post by kata »

Just don't try pushing this size through a gap.

My Agapanthus rootball.
agapanthusrootball.jpg
:lol: :lol:
mand

Post by mand »

kata wrote:Awe, I hpe your better than you were Mands,

Illness is very restricting and gardening needs you to be fit as you can be. I have joint trouble and gardening leaves me with at least three broken nights if I dig or lift beyond what my joints allow but I refuse to give it up gardening Its the only thing I am any good at.
Good for you!

I have been helped A LOT by learning Alexander technique. Over the years I've learnt where I hold myself wrong, centre of gravity too far forward or back or whatever puts all sorts of strain on the small joints and even in the first couple of months I went from having the middle of my spine the worst problem to that part being pain-free. I've also been helped a lot by eventually(!) getting a diagnosis of fibromyalgia and thereafter learning a lot about that, management/pacing, and the right meds for me. And glucosamine etc. Everyone has a different set of solutions that works, everyone has a different path to it. It's a learning curve but a valuable one. I'm amazed every day how much better I feel just getting out of doors now - never used to be an outdoor person in the old days!

I also have energy problems (hate calling it a fatigue but that's the official term) from other causes, and that impacts more day to day. The more freedom I have to manage my time, the less stress and hurrying to get things done, the better I get on :) which is how becoming single helps ;) but that's why I end up trying to do leisure stuff (plants included) in very few hours sometimes, because ordinary stuff and especially paperwork take me six times as long as when I was fit. Used to be a super-efficient PA and now I have a jelly for a brain :lol:

Anyway I have decided to have my 30s when I'm seventy, as I did my 70s and 80s when I was in my 30s...

Joe sounds lovely, I love how random people connect and then those we've met stay in our minds forever.
kata

Post by kata »

Fibromyalgia, I have heard of that Mand, most painful before diagnosis.

I thought I had that once over years ago. I had muscle pain and joint pain..horrid.

I had two accidents one a manual handling (laundry rolls) and a ceiling collapse both occured at Morrisins Supermarket. As if life does'nt throw enough at us.

I met friends like Joe because I had unpredictable panic attacks then, still have the odd one. it was supported housing via a warden with alarm pulls. there is no support here and thats why I will return. I still have a lot of friends there, on such a complex you look out for each other. here they could'nt care less.

Alexander technique is supposed to be really helpful. My late brother suggested I try Tai Chi. I believe Eastern like Chinese medicine is really good.

Recently saw a chiropractor from Canada, big guy was'nt in it. He used to kneel on my back cracking joints, I decide to take a 'break' from him before he broke me. HAHAHHAAHHAA £25.00 a time to be sat on... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look after yourself Mands cus no one else will.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Good root ball on the agapanthus
kata

Post by kata »

The Agas like to feel tight,

I put it in a too big a really big pot thinking it needed repoting.. It will have to be transferred yet again next spring to a smaller one.

Thanks Rob!

icon_sunny
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Have all mine plunged in the ground in pots.
kata

Post by kata »

I bought a new one late summer,

It is a black one this time Rob. It seems to be doing ok.

icon_sunny
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

That should look stunning when it flowers.