Cycas revoluta bargain + advice sought

leunerj

Cycas revoluta bargain + advice sought

Post by leunerj »

Dropped some stuff off at the dump this morning and saw that they have a nice little collection of abandoned houseplants. Spotted this double-cycas in there and asked them if I could take it. They said they sell the plants for a few quid to pay for their tea/coffee etc. I asked how much they wanted and they said I could make them an offer... so I said £2 and they accepted!!

Going to top-dress with some new soil and give it plenty of water. Do you think I should split them up or let them keep growing together in the same pot?

My phone is sitting in the pot in the second photo for scale.
Attachments
cycas1.jpg
cycas2.jpg
Last edited by leunerj on Tue May 01, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
flounder

Re: Cycas revoluta bargain + advice sought

Post by flounder »

Thats my sort of bargain! icon_thumleft
I wouldn't separate them yet if at all
Last edited by flounder on Tue May 01, 2012 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kata

Post by kata »

A real bargain......... :lol: :lol:

Enjoy it leunerj

icon_cheers
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

That's brilliant, I'll have to look around for plants next time I visit the dump :D
kata

Post by kata »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

My local tip is more expensive than the garden centres.....they say its for 'charity' :roll:
kata

Post by kata »

Cheeky blastards.... :lol: :lol:

Its ch@t anyway whats to charge?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

How much would a nice sized cycad cost up north? From B&Q or home base or somewhere like that. Im really interested in them and really want to add one to my exotic collection.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:How much would a nice sized cycad cost up north? From B&Q or home base or somewhere like that. Im really interested in them and really want to add one to my exotic collection.
You could have a look at sales by palmen3103 on German eBay. His carriage charges are very reasonable. Do a search here first though as there are posts of Pros and Cons, I'm happy with the one I bought :)

90cm plant in 30cm pot for £50 + £15 shipping
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Cycas-revolutia- ... 1005314577

70cm plant in 26cm pot for £33 + £10 shipping
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Cycas-revolutia- ... 1274552818
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:How much would a nice sized cycad cost up north? From B&Q or home base or somewhere like that. Im really interested in them and really want to add one to my exotic collection.
Ikea sell them in selected stores, small for £7.50 .I recently bought a couple from our local B&Q warehouse for around £15 each in the houseplants section. A good size too for the money.
doncasterpalmguy123

Post by doncasterpalmguy123 »

Thanks for the replies, i think i'll go for the cheaper option of B&Q or somewhere like that :D
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

doncasterpalmguy123 wrote:Thanks for the replies, i think i'll go for the cheaper option of B&Q or somewhere like that :D
FWIW I got a small one before I bought the eBay one. Its pathetic ... still growing, but still pathetic. I'd recommend saving up and getting a bigger one.
Mowgley

Post by Mowgley »

Instead of starting a new topic I thought I'd carry on this one.
Anyway I've been looking around on ebay for decent sized cycads and came across this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310768339899? ... 1423.l2649
Approx £38 + £30 shipping is it a good size for the money?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

£38 + £30 shipping translated by Google looks to be "Total height with pot approx 90cm ,
Trunk height approx 30/35cm" It also seems to say that they are recently potted and are therefore probably not well rooted?

The Spanish ones I posted a link to earlier says:

EUR 40 + 12 shipping (approx £43.70 total) "Total height up to 70 cm, Plant height up to 40 cm, trunk up to 16 cm, plant diameter up to 80 cm, Pot size 26 cm diameter / 10 L"

The bigger one is EUR 60 + 17 shipping (approx £64.72 total) "Total height up to 90 cm Plant height up to 60 cm Trunk up to 16 cm plant diameter up to 100 cm Pot size 30 cm / 14 L"

Sounds like much of a muchness to me ... not sure that taller trunk gains you much, to me the amount of leaf in the photograph looks a bit "mean", I think mine have more than that, and to me that would be more important than trunk height.
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

Its great that you saved something like that do from the skip. A friend of mine was asked to bin a tree fern which he asked if he could keep.